The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Stripped wheel stud removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I decided that I had better get my Talon up and on the street, but in order to do that I need to get it emission tested and registered, and in order to do that I need to fix a flat. Well much to my dissapointment I encountered a bad wheel stud on the passenger rear wheel, it just spun and spun.

First up are the tools

Jack
jack stand
SAFTEY GLASSES
Air hammer
Air chisels
Drill either cordless with extra batteries or air powered (i used both)
drill bits (I started with a 11/64 and worked up to a 5/16th)
WD-40 or similar

I will get all the typing out of the way then post the pictures.

First jack up the car. I jacked up just the passenger rear corner, I put a jack stand under it just to be safe but left most of the load on the jack. When you are pulling on the wheel or prying on it it could fall off the stand.

Second I air chiseled the lug nut top off, and then tried my best to split the lug into quarters, I have no idea if this hepls or not but seemed like it might to me so I did it.

Third Started with the pointed air chisel attachment and made a small indentation in the middle of the stud.

Fourth I started with a small drill bit and started drilling, your going to be here a while so get a small stool or milk crate or something, I didnt when I started and it was pretty rough after about 15 minutes.

Remember to use lots of spray to keep the drill and stud cool, and please use a quality bit, I started with one of my cheap ones out of a black and decker kit, big mistake should have went straight to the craftsman or dewalt bits as the cheapo shatered into a few pieces and I hit the wheel with the broken end and scratched up my wheel pretty bad, also another good reason to be sitting so you dont fall over!

I drilled in to the stud a little further than the length of the actual lug nut with the smallest bit and from there worked my way up in size. I did it in about 5 size increases all the way to the 5/16 bit. about half way into drilling with the big bit it felt like it could break the stud so I gave it a good tug and "snap" off it came. all in all it took maybe 45 minutes total. Not to bad if you ask me. In the next week or so I am expecting my new ARP wheel studs so stay tuned for the install.

Now for picture time

Attachments

• 100_0355.jpg
    100_0355.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,192
  • 100_0349.jpg
    100_0349.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 100_0347.jpg
    100_0347.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,174
  • 100_0356.jpg
    100_0356.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • 100_0357.jpg
    100_0357.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 100_0358.jpg
    100_0358.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 100_0361.jpg
    100_0361.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 100_0362.jpg
    100_0362.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,157
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back