The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Strange idle issue, need some guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopistons93

Probationary Member
Sep 26, 2014
Monterey, California
Hey guys,

So I was working on the talon a bit today, and I saw that the idle stop switch was not plugged in. It's likely been unplugged since I got the car, I haven't really spent a lot of time on it yet and only drove it ~400 miles total. Strange thing is, I never noticed the car having any idle problems, always drove fine prior to me finding the switch unplugged.

Today I plug the switch back in to the harness connector, reset the ECU etc etc, and drove the car about 25 minutes. Did not experience any issues with it at all during that time, and in fact, the car felt MORE responsive and smooth than it ever has before. I attributed that to the fact that the idle stop switch has been unplugged and now the system is back to normal.

After leaving what I was doing, I get in the car and start driving, and sure enough, I have an idle hunt between 1200-1400 rpm's, rapidly. I drove it home, and the car felt like it did prior to me plugging the idle stop switch in, sort of sluggish and definitely less responsive than my drive earlier in the day.

I get home, unplug the idle stop switch, and sure enough RPMs climb to 2500 and hold. I reset the ECU again and plugged the idle stop switch back in, and the car drove fine until warm, when it repeated what happened above.

What do you guys think could be the problem? And why the hell did the car drive fine for 400 miles over the past 4 months with the idle stop switch unplugged? Very weird. Thanks for any help!

Joe

I'd ground the timing connector on the fire wall and diagnostics port (OBD1)and set the biss screw.
Can you log?
What's your ISC at ?
Is the tps set properly?(10%-10.9%)
Did you set the idle switch?
It Usually requires a volt meter to do properly

Do you have ecmlink? Setting idle and tps is much easier with it.

Otherwise it sounds like some adjustments need to be done, as well as possibly a broken FIAV. Might be cracked on the plunger and at full throw spreading the crack and creating a larger leak.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back