1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Stiff brake pedal, barely stopping

Posted by turbomoe, Nov 9, 2011

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. turbomoe

turbomoe Proven Member

Joined Oct 2, 2007
    LINCOLN PARK, Michigan
    Okay I've did all the research I can, but here's my issue, I recently did a motor swap and i got the car to drive, and now it won't stop:banghead:

Issues that I am having are:
    1. Brake pedal is hard as a rock and doesn't even go more than a inch down
    2. I can barley stop
    3. I hear like a brake squeak Ina rear, feels like car is dragging a little bit

What I have done so far
    1: blead brake calipers and master
    2: replaced check valve
    3: replaced front brakes
    4:banged my head agnist wall,

What else can I do,?

2. serviceguy

serviceguy Proven Member

Joined May 11, 2002
    Clifton, New Jersey
    Check the brake booster. Either the actual brake booster or the check valve on the line that supplies vacuum to it. If the brake booster is shot you should hear an hiss coming from the brake pedal area when you try to push the pedal down.

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. ChiTownHussla

ChiTownHussla Proven Member

Joined Nov 16, 2010
    Chicago, Illinois
    ^^
    Hes right sounds like the booster isnt hooked up or is shot. start there

ChiTownHussla

483  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  4. kchaazz

kchaazz Proven Member

Joined Oct 2, 2002
    PENSACOLA, Florida
    You say you replaced the check valve. What do you mean by this, as the check valve is permanently pressed into the hose going from the booster to the manifold? You did a motor swap, so I believe that what has happened is that the booster hose was hooked up backwards, thereby preventing the booster from seeing vacuum, and allowing pressure into the booster under boost conditions. Take the end of the hose off the booster side and you should be able to blow into the hose. Now, take the end off the intake manifold side and you should not be able to blow into the booster.

5K  0

1993 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. turbomoe

turbomoe Proven Member

Joined Oct 2, 2007
    LINCOLN PARK, Michigan
    Okay there is no hissing sound from inside, the pedal doesn't move any, my 1st issue was I just ran a regular line with no check valve, then I place a new line with check valve, and still verry hard, but I will test it to make sure I have it on the right way and I will post my results,

I checked the hose and valve, it in perfected and works good! Anything else?

Any help?

6. giovanniv

giovanniv Proven Member

Joined Aug 8, 2008
    normal, Illinois
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the exact same problems with my car. I installed a motor with a SMIM and I put on a regular hose and then replaced with with the OE with the check valve and still no dice.

7. reddragon1

reddragon1 Proven Member

Joined Apr 27, 2012
    Kansas city, Missouri
    Did you guys actually build full boost without the check valve? If you did you most likely ripped the diaphragm in side the booster.

8. giovanniv

giovanniv Proven Member

Joined Aug 8, 2008
    normal, Illinois
    I never got into boost as my car was not tuned. I just drove it around the subdivision and braking was a b1tch.

9. RamenPride

RamenPride Proven Member

Joined Aug 18, 2002
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Had this happen to me a few years ago, one of the brake caliper pistons had seized up.

2K  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. miliman13

miliman13 Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2011
    tampa, Florida
    So this is we’re i am currently at....
    Any takers on an old thread?

2K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.066 @ 106.880 · 2G DSM
  11. ceedawg

ceedawg Supporting Member

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    I had a failed brake booster which caused a very stiff pedal. The seal in the back of it was rotted out which resulted in no vacuum .

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM