The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Srt 4 Turbo Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gst18

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2005
Madison Heights, Michigan
Everytime i drive next to a SRT 4 i can always see how fast their turbo spools . They can barely touch the throttle and their BOV goes off. I was just wondering how they were designed and what helps their spool time.
Thanks for any inputs.

Actually thats just the bov. You can buy one that does that on our cars. My buddys bov is so loud at about 1psi when he lets off the gas. His bov flutters when he parks it in reverse. LOL

The turbo is actually designed a little different. The exhaust housing of the turbo is built inside the exhuast housing making for faster spool. But it doesnt spool like you think.

I think they are annoying also I asked a group of srt-4 owners what bov they had and they all said mopar.

The reason why their turbo spools so fast is because its the equivalent to a 16g sized turbo on a 2.4 liter motor. Pretty big displacement for such a small turbo. I dont know why people always hate on the SRT-4, they are solid cars with proven performance. I just dont like most of their drivers because a lot of them dont know their WTF they are talking about, but they are great cars as far as performance.

most people hate on srt-4s because 80% of the people that own them think they own the world and are douche bags. i have no problem with people who own srt-4s...hell my brother has one and he is upgrading from a gt3076r to a gt3582r right now, and its getting a built motor. he ran 12.6 on the gt30r, i cant wait to see the numbers with the 35r and lower compression. i like srt-4s if theyre done right. and to stay on topic, like the replies above me say, the turbo manifold and exhaust housing of the turbo are one piece. plus the engine is a 2.4, so itll spool anything that small real fast.

Actually thats just the bov. You can buy one that does that on our cars. My buddys bov is so loud at about 1psi when he lets off the gas. His bov flutters when he parks it in reverse. LOL

The turbo is actually designed a little different. The exhaust housing of the turbo is built inside the exhuast housing making for faster spool. But it doesnt spool like you think.

What bov is that?

Would it be an effective alternative to grab an SRT4 turbo and bolt it up to our cars, or would it be too much of a PITA?

Would it be an effective alternative to grab an SRT4 turbo and bolt it up to our cars, or would it be too much of a PITA?

There is no point in even trying to do that. Throw an EvoIII on your car and call it a day. Quick spool, capable of 300+HP with the right mods. So to answer your question, no, not an effective alternative.

thanks for the replies guys. I always used to think they just have fast spooling turbos because of bigger displacement. I guess their BOV's are what make it go off so fast.
I remember racing an srt 4 back when i put my big 16g on my car. At 15 psi i was dead even with him through 3rd.
This is also when i didnt have any fuel upgrades.

Its not possible to bolt there turbo to our car, maybe the 420a but not the 4g63. Just buy a real loud performance bov and go with a maf-t set up so you can vent it.

A guy I know here was running 401whp on pump gas on a stock block srt-4. Needless to say only 5 months and it threw a rod. Not to mention its Wrong Wheel Drive.

remember SRT-4s don't run a BOV like us, they have what is called a Blow off plate. It works very similar to a BOV, same concept, different design

most people hate on srt-4s because 80% of the people that own them think they own the world and are douche bags. i have no problem with people who own srt-4s...hell my brother has one and he is upgrading from a gt3076r to a gt3582r right now, and its getting a built motor. he ran 12.6 on the gt30r, i cant wait to see the numbers with the 35r and lower compression. i like srt-4s if theyre done right. and to stay on topic, like the replies above me say, the turbo manifold and exhaust housing of the turbo are one piece. plus the engine is a 2.4, so itll spool anything that small real fast.

Their is one making over 700hp right now ams is building it..

If srt4s were a little smaller and more compact, and awd theyd be incredible, but with that 2.4 displacement after a certain point, the more power you add the slower they seem to run in the 1/4 because of such horrible wheel spin. Seems those cars actually require really good tires and lsds just to even compete beyond 12 second passes.Thats why the fwd guys in the dsm camp dont usually go stroker for the increase in low end torque ( wheel spin.. )

All I know is the 05's and up have real nice LSD, I think it may be a quaife diff. I met this guy with one and out of the hole he stayed with me and I launched at 5k. He had very little wheel spin and a nice hop.

I was very surprised. If I would have launched a little harder letting the clutch out I would have taken him a little better but I didnt expect him to have that much traction.

If they where AWD or RWD I would buy one in a heart beat. I love the power they make stock and look awesome. They are very under rated from the factory, they almost dyno the 245hp that its rated at.

:tease: 12.6 on a 30r? i think they next thing he needs is a driver mod. or possibly slicks if that wasnt with them?

My buddys ran a 12.6 with Bolt ons and a tune

If they where AWD or RWD I would buy one in a heart beat. I love the power they make stock and look awesome. They are very under rated from the factory, they almost dyno the 245hp that its rated at.

Like everybody else, I like the cars, it's just the owners that I don't like... And they really messed up with the FWD:nono:

Like everybody else, I like the cars, it's just the owners that I don't like... And they really messed up with the FWD

This is very judgemental. You cant say you hate srt-4 drivers because it dont make sence. I know a few good guys that drive those cars. You cant judge the person from the car they drive, its just a car.

Us DSM'ers are labeled as ass holes, atleast in my town they are. Its like anyone that drives a DSM here thinks that all v8's and honda's are slow. My buddy had a civic and everytime he saw a DSM he would be like shit here we go. They would cruise up and show off there BOV, then I would go off making fun of it. All im saying is you cant label people by there cover.

:tease: 12.6 on a 30r? i think they next thing he needs is a driver mod. or possibly slicks if that wasnt with them?

My buddys ran a 12.6 with Bolt ons and a tune

I was thinking the same thing. There is a guy here local that runs a stock block with cams and a slightly upgraded turbo which looks like stock so not sure what it is but he ran a 11.45@122mph up here in slc.

This is very judgemental. You cant say you hate srt-4 drivers because it dont make sence. I know a few good guys that drive those cars. You cant judge the person from the car they drive, its just a car.

Us DSM'ers are labeled as ass holes, atleast in my town they are. Its like anyone that drives a DSM here thinks that all v8's and honda's are slow. My buddy had a civic and everytime he saw a DSM he would be like shit here we go. They would cruise up and show off there BOV, then I would go off making fun of it. All im saying is you cant label people by there cover.

HAha I guess colorado and Tampa Fl have a lot in common because its the exact same here. Dsm guys are assholes who think they know it all just like any other car group but the difference is dsm guys here all tend to bully on hondas and slower cars just for a kick.
And the reason I know this is because i used to do it LOL.
But then again honda drivers deserve to be messed with, since they all get riced out and think there fast and start redlining next to you with that annoying high pitch vtec.

Then a 10 sec turbo civic flys by you on the highway. There are some very fast hondas out there. Ive seen them. They usually cant do anything off the line but after that they got balls. Ive seen some 11 sec street hondas at the strip here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back