The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Should I get this 97Gst??? I need your help ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracOwner

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'm about to buy a 97gst but I keep changing my mind about it. The car has lifter tick which worries me since I've heard from one guy that lifter tick is the first sign that the engine is going to crankwalk.
The car is stock and has only a muffler and a boost gauge with 58k miles on it, 5speed. The guy selling it is asking $7000.
I'm worried about all this crankwalk thing. And I'm not the richest guy so getting a 6bolt swap would destroy me.
What do you guys think? Should I get the gst and risk getting crankwalk or stay away from it?

And plz don't close this thread since I need help asap and yes :rolleyes: .......I tried the search option already.

Well whoever told you that lifter tick is the first sign of crankwalk needs to go back to school b/c the 2 have no relation. Well from what you described it sounds like a good deal. But if I were you take it to a mechanic you trust and have him check it over. And ask if he has had the timing belt done, b/c if not then you will need to do that as soon as you buy it.

In the end if you have bad feelings about it , then its prob better that you dont buy it.
Good luck!

That's pretty low mileage, I would certainly consider it. From what I have read (I'm a 1g guy myself) crankwalk isn't that common. And I don't think you should worry about lifter tick, all of our cars have lifter tick, you can replace those with the new lifters if you want.

I see. The guy told me the noise can be heard is lifter tick. I personally can't tell the difference between a lifter tick and other ticks :sosad: Is there a way to tell a difference between lifter ticks and other ticks? :confused:

Lifter tick is pretty constant, and will get faster as the rpms get higher. He could also just be low on oil, whenever my car gets low on oil it starts ticking, and I immediately get an oil change, then it stops.

Lift tick is pretty normal with our cars so it is nothing really to worry about. The car seems like a good deal and two big pluses are the low miles and stock form. If you are really interested then take it to a mechanic and get them to go over it.

I guess I'll get it then :D
But, one more thing. People have been saying that pressing the clutch constantly (ex:red lights, traffic etc.) will make the car crankwalk. I'm planning to use this car as a daily driver and won't put many mods on it so the clutch will be used quiet often. Is this whole clutch thing really related to crankwalk?

I would like to know where all these people that are telling you about crankwalk are getting there info from. Do a search on here and read up on it and what causes it. And it is so hyped up it is rediculous, don't worry about it and enjoy the car. :thumb:

hmmmm.....I might just let a mechanic check the car out first (just to be sure). But what should I tell the mechanic to check for? :confused: And if the numbers show that everything is ok does that mean that the car is never going to get cw?
That's the last question, I promise :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back