1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Seat Swaps 1G

Posted by ChessmoDSM, Mar 28, 2018

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    All,

Believe me, I have searched here and on google and most of the threads are pretty old, does anybody have information on the best Aftermarket or Seats from other cars that fit into a 1G with the least resistance?? (I understand that some customization will be necessary, but again the path of least resistance)

3G eclipses look good, Hyundai Tiburon, Recaro :cry: ect, just looking for some guidance

Street Build 303  2

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ErikTande and FlashBack-Cro like this.
  2. yupinmywhyte_t

yupinmywhyte_t Probationary Member

Joined Sep 18, 2008
    nampa, Idaho
    I'm in the same boat my front seats are trash

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020 at 5:12 PM
  3. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    I ended up with some Subaru BRZ seats. 20190609_180735 - Copy.jpg

Street Build 303  2

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Dericsh, ErikTande and spyderdrifter like this.
  4. benspilk09

benspilk09 Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2010
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Neon SRT4 seats are popular. They are comfortable and very well bolstered.

If you go much newer than that, most seats have airbags in them and end up being too wide.

Street Build 359  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    How much modification was needed to make them fit? They look great!

Street Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

4K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  6. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    I had my seats reupholstered in factory matching leather, and it wasn't that bad; around $1,200 for both. This included a bit of foam repair. The leather was about half the cost, so fabric would be under $1,000, easy. A good pair of any other seats will likely run around $1,000, if they're in good condition, and there is mounting to contend with. The photos of mine show that they're not as perfect as factory, in terms of smooth fitting, but in leather the bit of crumples actually looks good, imo. Most fabric would have to fit better to still look good.

Seat belt compatibility is also something to consider, since the 1g seats have part of the belt mechanism integrated. Swapping to some kind of race belts would solve it, though a little much for street use. I did the Canada-market swap, which is another option, though a bit tough to find. (Glad to not have to deal with the motorized units any more). Another plus of new leather; you get that new-car smell again!

Attached Files:

Street Build 529  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ErikTande likes this.
  7. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    I paid $350 for the BRZ seats with the correct rails already custom fitted, they were bolt in and go.. Those leathers look nice though, no doubt!! :thumb:

Street Build 303  2

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Mech Addict and ErikTande like this.
  8. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    The rails were already done so all that had to be done was a bolt in and go, the only drawback is if you are 6'3 or taller they won't work as your head would be hitting the roof..

Street Build 303  2

awd · manual · 1G DSM