The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rust Under the Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremoose

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
I have some rust on the sides undearneath the hood of my car... What should I do with this rust? Is there any way to stop the forming of further rust??

doy ou mean on the strut towers, or the hood it self?
The ebst thing you can do is cut out the rust and weld in new metal... and if you dont you get what mine looks like now, RUSTY + HOLES :(

yea first man do a search, but what you want to do is if possible go to a auto junkyard and see if you can cut out the piece you need. if not then just cut out the rusty piece make sure you clean it up so that theres none left (grind) and then spray some rust proof paint and wield in a new piece

just make sure that you get all of it or else it will come back and create more trouble... trust me. and on a side note... no fiberglass around rust dont even think about it :nono:

Yeah the first thing that i would is to make sure i scrape every part of the rust off. Using a wire brush, screwdriver or whatever works. But you must make sure you get EVERYTHING. After that i would srapy on a couple of coats of rust proof paint. Because rust is exactly like cancer, you don't get rid of it all it will come back!

But if none of that would work i would seriosly get a new hood before things get even worse.

Sorry I forgot to check this thread again.. Anyways, the rust isn't ON the hood itself. Its under the hood on the sides, like right beside the battery. Same course of action I assume?

Jeremoose said:
Sorry I forgot to check this thread again.. Anyways, the rust isn't ON the hood itself. Its under the hood on the sides, like right beside the battery. Same course of action I assume?

Do you think you could post a picture of it. I've worked with a lot of rust problems.

Here's a list of things that you should do...

1) Get the supplies you need. Ex. primer, rust paint (whatever color you want), 400 or 600 grit sand paper, bucket of water, a wire brush and if it's really bad a chisle (if needed) newspaper, tape and other things but those are the basic.

2) Start by scraping as much of the rust off as possible, use the chisle (if needed) and/or the wire brush. After you have completed getting the major rust off, take the sand paper soak it in the water a little bit, and then sand the whole entier area even around the spot. You nay need to sand for a bit to make sure you got everything.

3) Wash the area very well and get ready for priming, as well as drying it (the primer will not stick the metal very well when wet.) Take the newspaper and cover the areas where you don't want to get the paint on, and tape it down. (DO ALL OF THIS IN AN AREA WHERE IT IS AT LEAST 65-75 DEGREES!!!) After getting the area ready spray the primer on 12-14 inches away and go back and forth like your waving it. DON'T put too much on, wait a little bit and then do it again. You only really need no more than two coats of primer on. When the primer is DRY spray back and forth of the rust proof paint that you have chosen. DOn't out too much on wait a bit and then repeat. You need at leats 4-5 coats of paint on.

5) The paint has to cure now. Leave the car alone for MORE than 24 hours. Take everything off clean everything very well because primer doesn't come off very well.

Just a note to you. This will solve your problem for hopfully a year or two. In the future this problem may come back so if you have some extra money to spend look for a new hood.

I hope that this has helped you. It has for me!

Peace,
Nate

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back