The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rust under the hood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awdstreettuner

Probationary Member
Nov 24, 2003
AlabamaUS
I am attaching a pic of a car I am looking into buying and wondering if this is a serious problem. The guy told me about the problem before sending the pics and I was wondering if this is repairable and what kindof cost I was looking at to fixing this problem. The rust I am concerned about is around the strut towers. Please let me know because I was wanting to pick the car up early next week if the problem is not serious.

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 215
OMG that looks really bad! You hit a large bump and Id expect the struts to come flyin up into the hood. i wouldnt buy it unless you get it fixed asap, gonna have to cut out the old rusted areas and weld in new metal then paint

Originally posted by Mike1992
OMG that looks really bad! You hit a large bump and Id expect the struts to come flyin up into the hood. i wouldnt buy it unless you get it fixed asap, gonna have to cut out the old rusted areas and weld in new metal then paint

Im with him. I wouldnt buy a car with rust in those areas.... In a fenderwell possibly, but where a SUSPENSION part sits at? No Never!

What about the rest of the car?
Its condition?

this seems like a common rust area for our cars I've seen at least three other cars with rust in that same area.

The rest of the car is in excellent condition. Does anyone have an estimate about how much it would cost at a repair shop to fix it or is it possible b/c of its location?

The guy said he had the rest of the car checked for rust and that was the only spot. He said he is having a local body man fix it right now and it should be ready Monday. I think im going to ride up there and check it out. If im going to buy it im going to inspect it very closely.

If the rust is that bad there, it's probably been sitting for quite a while.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot clown pole, personally.

I hope you don't plan on getting it inspected. But seriously, it is't worth the time and effort, if the rust is that bad in that spot, imagine under the car:barf:

The guy said that he has personally checked underneath the car and had has the rest of the car checked for rust and this was the only spots found.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back