The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rust Treatment Info!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, I get a lot of questions about the products I use during my restorations and I thought that posting this info I found a while back might help people with some of their projects too. Ultimately it is up to you guys which products you decide to use, but I found this info extremely helpful when I was making mine. There will also be a point when not even the top products and process I used will be enough, and metal fabrication would need to be done, BUT if this helps even one person feel more confident with their results, then that it what matters. ALWAYS WEAR PROPER PPE!

First video is a very good example of products that can be used to clear rust down to bare metal pretty easily. I have personally used the top rated product with very good results. POR15 metal prep is not listed but is also very good and leaves a zinc coating behind.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Second video is a very good example of what can be done AFTER the rust is removed and to keep it from coming back. Again, I have personally used the top product in this video with very good results

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

REMEMBER HOWEVER: There are TWO (2) sides to every piece of metal! The ultimate goal would be to clear, clean, treat and cover BOTH sides. This is nearly impossible in some cases however (like floor board runners/behind rear rockers for example) without cutting. So just try to remember if you slap por15 over the front of something and the backside is still rusted to hell, then it's just going to hide the growing cancer and maybe make it worse.

With our aging cars and parts getting more and more scarce I really hope that this helps save and keep more vehicles on the road. If anyone ever has any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

EDIT: I have changed my process up a little since the A52 restoration, since I am now restoring my current project A87, but here is the link for that is case it helps someone too..

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back