The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fixing rusted out strut towers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heres how I fixed my rusted out strut towers. They where pretty bad from all those years I lived in chitown, lots of salt on the roads in the winter. Things I used good thick weldable metal plates, mig welder, grinder, under coating spray, color match paint and some good primer with rust killer. Steps I took moved everything out of the way covered everything else to prevent damage. Next I cut out all the rust to where there was good clean metal. Then I cut out a good piece for the filler and welded it in. I used a good hammer to kindof shape the metal to fit and go with the flow of things. Next I grinded all the welds down so they would be flush then fixed any bad spots on top. I know my welds don't look that great was alittle rusty hadn't welded in years. Then the hard part making things look good underneath, took some time but worth it. Then I cleaned everything up used alittle body filler to smooth things out abit. After that dried I primed the top and underneath. Then sprayed the undercoating on the underside, and painted the top white after that all dried after a couple coats I wet sanded alittle. Then applied some clear coat and cleaned everything up and put everything back together. All pau I wish I would have taken some more pics of all the steps but didn't think of it at the time sorry. I have some more pics some where just couldn't find them at this time. I know I could of done a way better job with alittle more time and patience, but its my dd so was kind of in a hurry. Also the pictures don't give it justice in person you can hardly tell anything was done. But for me no more worrying if my struts going through the roof. Hope it helps if anyone is wondering if it can be done. Just make sure you grind to fresh metal or it will most likely come back and it will make welding way hard.

Attachments

• OldRepublicXmas2009 023.jpg
    OldRepublicXmas2009 023.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,426
  • OldRepublicXmas2009 024.jpg
    OldRepublicXmas2009 024.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,306
  • OldRepublicXmas2009 025.jpg
    OldRepublicXmas2009 025.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,930
  • OldRepublicXmas2009 065.jpg
    OldRepublicXmas2009 065.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,241
  • IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,498
  • download (8).jpg
    download (8).jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 4,353
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back