The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Rims

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420ADaily

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2014
pueblo, Colorado
Anyone rocking 18x7.5 on their 2Ga? Picked up a set of MSR 085 rims last summer and im thinking of pulling the trigger on tires.
Also, will stretching tires affect handling in any way? My 2GA is dropped 2" front and rear, will this produce rubbing?

Sorry for all the questions, i got the wheels for $100 and with the color im painting the car, it should look pretty nice.

Thanks in advance! :dsm::thumb:

I'm in a 1g at stock height, but I am rocking 18 x 7.5 rims with I believe a 40mm offset. I can't answer your questions about clearance, but I can tell you stretching the tires will

1. Not improve handling, as the contact patch doesn't have any additional tread to bite with; stretched enough you'll be riding on sidewall and eating tires. A right sized tire puts all available tread on the ground - including when cornering.

2. Look HYSTERICALLY terrible on a 7.5" rim. I'm running a proper fitment and the tire is only 225 wide. To stretch you would have to buy Prius tires ROFL. Seeing the car from the front or rear would look really funny. I already think mine look too skinny; a stretched tire would make it look like I was on donuts.:notgood:

I'm definitely not trying to stretch the tires, just a thought. (might go to 17x9.5 for that) im looking at 225/40r18 for these rims and hoping they don't rub too much.
Question is, will i get better handling or anything from wider/larger/more offset rims?

A wider rim WITH a wider tire will definitely improve grip, but overall handling could be negatively impacted with the heavier rim. Especially if you go as wide as 9.5", where I'm pretty sure you will need wheel spacers, you're adding lots of unsprung weight and then pushing it even further outboard. My personal preference would be to find the widest wheel/tire combo that will fit without spacers, and base clearance decisions on my preferred sidewall height, rather than stretching a tire that's the wrong size and forcing something that's not ideal.

I'm running 18x7.5 on 235 40 18. I believe mine are a 35 offset. I am at stock ride height. No rubbing or issues over normal road bumps
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Lookin good with stock height, I think im really going to like the way it turns out.
Hopefully is doesn't surprise me and rub all the time or during hard cornering (cornering is really all I care about..)

I only have one curve I can hard corner on during my daily commute and it's a right hand turn. No issues with rubbing.

I believe my speedometer is a few mph off due to the total diameter. In perspective, if my speedo say 70 im really rolling at 72mph. Not a major issue but just an FYI.

Hopefully they won't rub with it lowered, that would really make me sad.. All I drive here are canyon river roads and trust me, I don't corner lightly. I really don't want to go back to my American racing avengers.

Definitely go with a wider wheel width and larger tire for handling improvement. I beleive your close to stock wheel specs from factory.

As far as rubbing, no, you'll be fine. Run 18x10.5 wheels then start to worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back