The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Rich out of boost, lean under boost...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150DSM

Supporting VIP
Jan 5, 2004
Sacramento, California
First...
No leaks from intake or exhaust, BLT to 30psi shows no leaks, all gaskets are in place and bolts are tight. Mechanical and base timing are verified correct. Fuel pressure is verified correct (43 hose off, 37 hose on) Compression is 195 across the board. Wiring is good, no shorts, no gremlins. Stock O2 is good, wideband is calibrated and working correctly.

Mods are in profile but the basics are: Built 2L, 9.3:1 (calculated), mild head port, stock size valves, composite HG. RC 1200cc injectors, Fuel Lab AFPR, Jay Racing PT341 pump, fresh stock fuel filter, E85. FP race manifold, FP intake, O2 eliminator DP w/3" cat, 3" exhaust. BC 272's, FP DSM GreenXl w/84mm cover at 24psi. IInnovate LC2, ECMLink V3.

Basically, I idle at 900 at 15.2-15.6:1 AFR and part throttle cruise nets similar AFR's, I'm fairly satisfied with that aspect of the tune. Acceleration at any throttle position (low or no boost) nets 10.4-11.1 afr's regardless of changes made to the SD map. Full throttle acceleration nets 11.5-12.5 until 7-8psi then climbs leaner until I hit 17:1 or leaner at full boost, again, this is regardless of changes made to the SD map.

Attached is a log. It's a long one (12 or so minutes) that shows idle, PT cruise, acceleration and WOT. I apologize for the length of the log but I wanted to make sure I captured all of the areas of concern.

Thank you guys in advance for any input you can offer. I've been analyzing and adjusting so many things trying to get this right and I'm simply not seeing things right any more... I'm sure I'm missing something but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Thanks again guys, I appreciate any info you can provide.

Attachments

• log.2000.07.23-01.elg
    463.2 KB · Views: 75
At 705 and 715 seconds on the log you can see at WOT , Your o2 sensor voltage dips to .02v lean(WB past 17:1 lean... Also your DA table for open loop max oct is set to 12:1 A/f... I would go a little richer if your on pump gas
EDIT: I just noticed your using E85 nvm, its good. THis o2 sensor looks sketchy to me.

Also your Airflow per rev is really high at idle (At 173 seconds for example you are at .70) You should be around .25 at idle, You need to bring your STFT and LTFT Lo close to 0 by adjusting your global and deadtime and then use the SD cells corresponding to idle to get close to .25 fully warmed up past 183 degrees coolant temp
Global is around -44% for 1200 cc for e85, start there and work around that to dial your idle fuel setting

At 705 and 715 seconds on the log you can see at WOT , Your o2 sensor voltage dips to .02v lean(WB past 17:1 lean... Also your DA table for open loop max oct is set to 12:1 A/f... I would go a little richer if your on pump gas
EDIT: I just noticed your using E85 nvm, its good. THis o2 sensor looks sketchy to me.

Also your Airflow per rev is really high at idle (At 173 seconds for example you are at .70) You should be around .25 at idle, You need to bring your STFT and LTFT Lo close to 0 by adjusting your global and deadtime and then use the SD cells corresponding to idle to get close to .25 fully warmed up past 183 degrees coolant temp
Global is around -44% for 1200 cc for e85, start there and work around that to dial your idle fuel setting

Thanks for the input... Sorry so long to follow up, I have no time right now. I made the suggested global change and adjusted my dead-time down to 450. It idles close to my setting of 850 now and the acceleration is smoother. I'm still getting hick-ups when the motor starts to see load (0hg-3-4psi) it wants to go rich (10.8-10.2:1) and only clears after a shift. I'm also still seeing 16.0:1 at full boost. I'll post a log of the last run after the changes were made, hopefully we can see where the adjustments can be made to get everything optimized.

Thanks again for any input or suggestions.

Thanks for the input... Sorry so long to follow up, I have no time right now. I made the suggested global change and adjusted my dead-time down to 450. It idles close to my setting of 850 now and the acceleration is smoother. I'm still getting hick-ups when the motor starts to see load (0hg-3-4psi) it wants to go rich (10.8-10.2:1) and only clears after a shift. I'm also still seeing 16.0:1 at full boost. I'll post a log of the last run after the changes were made, hopefully we can see where the adjustments can be made to get everything optimized.

Thanks again for any input or suggestions.
Sure, no prob. i dont see a log we can view if you can edit and attach again. Check your o2 sensor, from what i noticed last time..there could be a few issues. Glad to hear the idle got sorted, those are some big injectors..worth it for e85 :thumb:

Why do you have the stock bov vented?? Did you try fixing that and see if thats the problem? :hmm:

Vented BOV is not an issue on a SD system. The high pitched whistle that just started coming from the valve at idle could be though.

Vented BOV is not an issue on a SD system. The high pitched whistle that just started coming from the valve at idle could be though.

I cant open logs, butYea check your vacuum lines and then verify that your fuel pressure is rising with noost. If adjustments in da tables are not creating changes in your af ratio, I would make sure you have a steady fuel supply.

Here's the most recent log. Probably just need to keep tweaking it but I want to make sure I'm not having any glaring mistakes. The BOV just started the high pitch whistle today, not sure that it is related to the previous issues. Replacement is next on the list.

Attachments

• log.2000.08.03-01.elg
    379.4 KB · Views: 66
I drove the car this morning and it's running like absolute crap. I have the same settings as in the log above but the car runs even worse than before. Low load (no boost) acceleration is slow and pig rich (10.8-9.8:1), as soon as I hit boost it starts to lean out and just gets leaner as boost rises. I hit 19:1 for a brief second at 15psi before I backed off scared. I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around these issues; none of the changes I'm making seem to be effective and I'm worried about damaging my engine trying to continue tuning with the way the car runs. If you would (fellow tuners) check out the log and please point out anything suspect. I've followed the outlined steps for setting a V3 SD tune (per Dr. Turbo's guide) but the results have been anything but predictable. Thanks in advance guys... I really need help.

When I right click on your log and select “SD VE Adjust (CombinedFT)” the changes that DSMLink makes to your SD table suggest that you need to spend some more time going through the steps in Dr. Turbo’s guide.

I’d read it again and work through it step by step till you get a smooth SD table. If you need an example of what a smooth table should look like you can find them on the DSMLink Wiki.

Regardless of what your SD table looks like there is still something else at play. Can I get you to log battery voltage if you post any more logs? I know you said you verified fuel pressure changes when the vacuum line is connected or not, but if voltage doesn’t drop as boost goes up that might explain some things.

When I right click on your log and select “SD VE Adjust (CombinedFT)” the changes that DSMLink makes to your SD table suggest that you need to spend some more time going through the steps in Dr. Turbo’s guide.

I’d read it again and work through it step by step till you get a smooth SD table. If you need an example of what a smooth table should look like you can find them on the DSMLink Wiki.

Regardless of what your SD table looks like there is still something else at play. Can I get you to log battery voltage if you post any more logs? I know you said you verified fuel pressure changes when the vacuum line is connected or not, but if voltage doesn’t drop as boost goes up that might explain some things.

Thank you. I'll review what I've already done and retrace my steps. I'll get another log on Sunday when I get back to the house and make sure to log battery voltage. What, if anything are you thinking at this point adjustment-wise?

Made some small adjustments that helped the low speed/load drivability be better but my airflow per rev is still .55-.65 I tried adjusting the dead-time down but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect... Does anyone know what the actual dead-time for RC 1200's is? Also, I'm still going lean as I get into boost and my fuel trims seem to be wacked out... -17% or more. I'm chasing my tail here... I think I need to start over and just rebuild the entire map. I'll post up the new log when I get home but there is not much difference from the previous log. So if you guys want to take a look and point out where I'm being stupid, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to look.

Here's a couple of logs from last night. They're relatively short but there's some idle, cruise and WOT info... Please let me know if you see anything, have any suggestions, etc..

Thanks guys.

Quick bit of info... My Omni 4 bar is only reading 14psi, I'm actually hitting 24-25psi by my boost gauge, I think this is the root of my problem but I have no idea why this would be the case... Any ideas??

Attachments

• log.2000.08.22-01.elg
    352.9 KB · Views: 76
  • log.2000.08.22-02.elg
    250.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Why isn’t your Load scaling set to 100%? That would definitely throw some stuff off. Your current setting of ~114% is telling the ECU that you are rocking a 1.75 liter…woops.

Why isn’t your Load scaling set to 100%? That would definitely throw some stuff off. Your current setting of ~114% is telling the ECU that you are rocking a 1.75 liter…woops.

Well that's a pretty good F-up. I got that from page 16 of Dr. Turbo's guide. I assumed that it applied to me without really understanding why. I'll bet that is the root of a lot of my problems and I never even considered it once it was set. Thank you very much for pointing out my mistake. I'll get that changed and pull another log and see where I'm at. I should be able to do that after work today so I'll have a new log up this evening. Thanks again.

I changed load factor back to 100% and made some small changes to get the car running. Things are far more linear and prdictable now, I've found my boostEst much closer to the map sensor and the airflow/rev is also closer to where it should be, fuel trims are stabilizing as well. Seems like I'm on the right track, now I just need a better tune. Here's the latest log after the changes were made. I appreciate any input.

Attachments

• log.2000.08.24-01.elg
    323.4 KB · Views: 68
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back