The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Rear tires don't move when in gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brynden29

20+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2002
Round Rock, Texas
Ok guys I searched and can't find anything on my issue. I just replaced the rear diff and axles from a donor car on my 91 GSX. Everything went fine on the install but when I tried to drive it it would not move. I jacked it up and tried again and the front tires move but the rears do not move. The drive shaft does not even turn. I disconnected the drive shaft and spun the diff by hand and the tires moved forwards and backwards just fine. So what do you think it is? Could it be the transfer case? Why would that just start giving me problems. I am very frustrated at this point, but I want to fix it, and I am going to fix it.

Is it hard to get the t-case off of a 1G? What else could it be? Can I disconnect the drive shaft and let it hang there and start it up again? I welcome all suggestions.

Also, I switched from an LSD diff to a non-LSD diff for now until I get my 4-bolt setup. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for your help.

The transfer case is real easy to take off. First drain it...i believe its 21mm or 22mm drain plug and a 17mm fill plug(remove the fill plug so it drains faster). If the gear oil is black and smells burnt you've discovered where your problem is lurking. So now take it off...5 Bolts- the one on the top is hidden, all 17mm Bolts(remember which length bolts go where). Be careful because it sits on dowel pins, so you really have to wiggle it back and forth other wise...BAM ~40lb transfer case on your face or chest. It sucks trust me, it happened first time i took it off.

Anyway back to your main concern with the wheels not spinning. I'm no trans expert but I'm going to say its something to do with the viscous coupling unit(on the back aka passenger side of the trans.

Look at the splines for the transfer case and see if any are really worn badly.
Sorry i can't be of more help.

Thanks for the help guys, it was the t-case. I tried to drain it and there was no fluid in it. I pulled it off and the bearing for the taper roller was destroyed, the drive bevel gear was chewed to bits as well as the drive bevel itself. I got another t-case from the junk yard, put it in and all is well.

Good to hear.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back