The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Rear brake rotor & pad removal --- HELP ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotemper

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2009
Fresno, California
So Im trying to get the rear rotors off on my 95 GST.
I have unscrewed all 4 bolts from the back. Supported the caliper, & took off the caliper mount. What do i need to get the rotor off the hub???
I hit it hard and it didnt budge. Do i need to screw in 2 bolts to pry it from the hub?
If so what bolts can i use from the car. I am in the middle of it right now. Thanks.

I have all 4 bolts undone from the back, removed & supported the caliper & mount. I cant seem to get the rotor off. What am i missing? Do i need to screw in 2 bolts to pry it from the hub? What else can i do? I'm right in the middle of this so please help ASAP Thanks.

hmm well i read htat approach and i dont know about that i dont need stripped screw heads stuck in there, i dont have a grinder to cut the heads off. What else guys?

If you have removed the caliper from the mount behind the rotor you should be able to use a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 to tap around the backside of the rotor and it should pop off. Sorry didn't realize that you had a 2g, I have not had experience with them.

I'v always been able to get them off by pounding on them and I'v done my far share of break jobs. Put on lug nut on one of the studs so the rotor doesnt come flying off and start pounding. If it still doesnt come off get a bigger hammer. I use a 5 pound mini sledge and I havent came across one rotor that this thing cant get off. Make sure once you do get it off to antiseize the face of the hub so you dont have this problem again.

I cant seem to get it off i hit it hard, i even mule kicked it a few times. I had a pry bar in there and it wasnt budging. WTF HELP

Are your sure all the caliper backet hardware is in fact disconnected and there is nothing bolted on still holding the rotor in place?

I recently replaced my rear rotors and they were stuck in place pretty good too. In my case since I was putting on brand new rotors and trashing the old OEM ones, I was not too concerned with marring the old rotors in the course of getting 'em off. I did so by getting a 4lb sledge and gave the rotor a few hard raps near the edges between the studs, working my way around. By the 3rd or 4th rap the rotor broke loose from the axle and I could slip it right off. Even though I hammered the rotors directly as described, I really didn't see any resulting damage to them and probably could have had them resurfaced if I had needed to.

Good luck.

Are your sure all the caliper backet hardware is in fact disconnected and there is nothing bolted on still holding the rotor in place?

I recently replaced my rear rotors and they were stuck in place pretty good too. In my case since I was putting on brand new rotors and trashing the old OEM ones, I was not too concerned with marring the old rotors in the course of getting 'em off. I did so by getting a 4lb sledge and gave the rotor a few hard raps near the edges between the studs, working my way around. By the 3rd or 4th rap the rotor broke loose from the axle and I could slip it right off. Even though I hammered the rotors directly as described, I really didn't see any resulting damage to them and probably could have had them resurfaced if I had needed to.

Good luck.

Same here, I replaced my stockers for slotted's back in the day on my 96. They were stuck on there so good that I ended up braking 2 of the rotors in half with a huge stedge hammer because I could get them off with even the little hand sledge hammer.

I would say as long as everything is unbolted and you don't plan on keeping them and are replacing them altogether, just be carefull not to damage anything else but hit them good with a big sledge hammer.

Make sure your parking brake is down. If your caliper is unbolted you can hit the rotor with a hammer and it will pop off.

I have all 4 bolts undone from the back, removed & supported the calpier & mount. I cant seem to get the rotor off. What am i missing? Do i need to screw in 2 bolts to pry it from the hub? What else can i do? Im right in the middle of this so please help ASAP Thanks.

Do the rotors have a couple of threaded holes in the rotor hat near the wheel studs? If so, you can thread the proper screw in and tighten them to 'jack' the rotor away from the hub.

Make sure your hand brake is off.

I just went through this a few hrs ago and was wondering what it was, then a light bulb went off and bam...they slid right off with no pounding needed.

+1:thumb: Check this first, other wise it just sounds like your e-brake pads are stuck. Have you tried any lube or PB Blaster?

I tried putting bolts in to jack the rotors loose but broke the bolts off so I had to use a hand sledge and beat the sh$t out of them till they broke loose

Thanks everyone for the input. You Guys:rocks: I just hit it a few times w/ a hammer. Whalaa undone rusty rotors. My ebrake pads looked pretty used but still had meat so i hit it w/ brake cleaner to clean them all up & left it alone. Bolted everything back up & called it a day. Drove home to the music of turbo spool & no scraping LOL

I will take pics next time i take them apart & do a write up on how to take off front & rear brake pads & rotors for the site. I want to paint the calipers & mounting brackets so it'll be a good time to record the process of both. Removal & Painting In separate threads.

Thanks for the advice.
I've done a lot as well and i never like pounding the crap out of the car while the customer is there but hey its my ride so i swung away.
I hit it w/ a hammer instead of my big 1/2" ratchet LOL
Broke free w/ a poof of brake rust & dust. Same on the other side.
:hellyeah:Bump for the wack the F out of it till it comes off method!:hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back