The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Replace Outer Tie Rod End .. or Boot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pSimytSi

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2008
Saranac Lake, New_York
I took my car on the highway this morning. Once it made it to around 60mph it started vibrating and the steering wheel was real shakey. When I got back home I was looking over my tires - suspension parts and found my passenger side outer tie rod (balljoint,bushing,boot?:rolleyes:) is crushed.

Do I need a whole new outer tie rod end or will a new boot hold it back up? And should I do both sides inner and outer at the same time? The cars body is reaching 80,000 miles and these parts are stock I believe.

This probably deserves to be here in the newb section :sneaky:

I've found some post that say if it happend at slow speed or some how had an easy break you may get away with driving it carefully. One said his was hanging on by just 1/8 an inch when it was replaced and he was driving it like that for almost 2 months..

Is there a way I can tell how much is holding it from falling apart? I thought about cutting the boot open to see but then dirt and water will work against me.

If I drive 40mph or under and try avoiding bumps..? It dosn't start to shake until 55+. Light shaking at 55-60 and gets really bad around 70-75. 50 and under you can't notice unless you hit a bump (it clunks) or around a corner it's real loose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back