The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Removing 420a fuel rail...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kergilman

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2007
Portland, Oregon
So I'm sitting here with my new 270cc fuel injectors w/ my thumb up my ass wondering which inbread engineer figured out how to attach the fuel rail to the intake manafold. Since I can barley see the 2 bolts that mount the fuel rail, I am wondering: 1) What size are they (10mm?) 2) How the hell do you reach them to remove and reinstall short of fabing up a special wrench to fit this unique application...?

Can someone please help me figure out an easy way to remove and reinstall the 420a fuel rail...?

This is what i did.
1. lift up back seat take off the round plate diconnect the fuel wire.
2. start car until it dies out start again a few more times to relive fuel pressure.
3. disconnect negative battery cable.
4. disconnect all the wires to the fuel injectors.
5. take a 13mm wrench ratchet and remove the 2 bolts holding on fuel rail.
4. pull out the fuel rail straight back it will take a little strength.
That is how i did it.

The easiest way to do it is to remove the upper intake plenum. All the bolts are easy to get to from under the car and once the upper plenum is remove you have all the room in the world to remove the fuel rail. I just did this the other day and took the 235cc out for 550cc and took maybe 1 hour to do.

This is what i did.
1. lift up back seat take off the round plate diconnect the fuel wire.
2. start car until it dies out start again a few more times to relive fuel pressure.
3. disconnect negative battery cable.
4. disconnect all the wires to the fuel injectors.
5. take a 13mm wrench ratchet and remove the 2 bolts holding on fuel rail.
4. pull out the fuel rail straight back it will take a little strength.
That is how i did it.

Was that a magic 13mm wrench bent perfectly to curve around inside the upper plenum...?

The easiest way to do it is to remove the upper intake plenum. All the bolts are easy to get to from under the car and once the upper plenum is remove you have all the room in the world to remove the fuel rail. I just did this the other day and took the 235cc out for 550cc and took maybe 1 hour to do.

I think this will be the route to go...that upper plenum blocks out all access to the bolts, but if removed would open it wide up...

Hahn actually recommends that you remove the valve cover to gain better access...

Was that a magic 13mm wrench bent perfectly to curve around inside the upper plenum...?

I think this will be the route to go...that upper plenum blocks out all access to the bolts, but if removed would open it wide up...

Hahn actually recommends that you remove the valve cover to gain better access...

You don't need to remove the upper plenum or the valve cover, maybe the coil pack I don't remember. I have a basic set of tools and aside from it being a bit tight/annoying to get to, it's definitely not impossible

I guess it was magic then because that is how i did it, it was a pia but i did it.
So i know you can do that way, you dont need to take off all that other sh!*.

For the time that you mess with the bolts and try getting around that upper plenum you could have already disconnected the upper plenum and got the rail out and changed the injectors twice in my book. Maybe thats just me though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back