The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

rear shock removal HELP!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drooseph

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
san diego, California
I have jacked up the car and all that. The driver side rear came off no problem but the passenger side just keeps spinning. The nut/bolt will spin but not actually break loose from the other side. There is a nut or something on the other side but I cant find anywhere what size it is. Any tricks to getting it loose? Does anyone know the nut size of the outer most nut on the lower strut mount? 2g FWD

Just use a 19 or 21 mm wrench to hold the nut and loosen with a 17mm.. If its the bolt i think you're talking about...

Just use a 19 or 21 mm wrench to hold the nut and loosen with a 17mm.. If its the bolt i think you're talking about...

Its bigger than an inch. Its 17mm, then shock, then huge nut, then the knuckle. the 17mm nut spins the huge one on the other side of the shock. I've used a butane torch and pb blaster to no avail. My vice grips arent helping any i need to find the right size so i can go buy the wrench

If it the same as the 1g I took the rear off of, its just two bolts you can't put the open end wrench on and use a socket let the open end wrench spin till it gets caught on something then break it loose.
If that made any sense?

If it the same as the 1g I took the rear off of, its just two bolts you can't put the open end wrench on and use a socket let the open end wrench spin till it gets caught on something then break it loose.
If that made any sense?

This is what I was trying, didn't work. I'm gonna put it back together and have my family mechanic break it loose in the air and put anti seize on it.:notgood:

I' sure you have the problem solved by now, but for anyone else looking for help on this matter, I believe it's a 27mm, I'm having trouble myself, I just used big adjustable wrench, a 1/2" drive ratchet & a cheater bar.

So, can anyone help me with my problem ? The 17mm bolt that keeps the lower part of the shock in place, I got that off, my issue is, I can't get the shock off the mount. I've jacked it up, hammered on it, taken a breaker bar & 5lb sledgehammer to it, nothing seems to work........ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you.....

P.S. This is my very first post.

Spray some PB blaster on it and just keep trying, probably just really rusted on there and will take some force.

Is this what your talking about? -
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I removed my rear struts last year it didn't take long. I put my car on 2 ramps.

Unbolted the bolts in the rear cargo area inside the car. Went under the car and unbolted the one near the Lower control arm area. I used a Breaker bar since it was uber tightened. ** you can also use WD-40 to losen it. If you have enough space use your foot to losen it since the feet have more strength then our hands LOL...

After wards when you losen it because the car doesn't fall on you. Get a hammer and hit it off this http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj638/Grothe32/7ac8805d7eca605fd48b513462644a8b.jpg . After you do that the car will drop a little but BE CAREFUL!!!! after you do the springs and strut should come right off.

I advise you to have some help! I had the help of my Uncle. Took us like an 30min-1 hour to get it out since we didn't have much space.

I' sure you have the problem solved by now, but for anyone else looking for help on this matter, I believe it's a 27mm, I'm having trouble myself, I just used big adjustable wrench, a 1/2" drive ratchet & a cheater bar.

So, can anyone help me with my problem ? The 17mm bolt that keeps the lower part of the shock in place, I got that off, my issue is, I can't get the shock off the mount. I've jacked it up, hammered on it, taken a breaker bar & 5lb sledgehammer to it, nothing seems to work........ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you.....

P.S. This is my very first post.

Have you taken the 3 Nuts out of the cargo area?

After wards there should be a Screw/Nut around the bottom of the car holding it. Remove that and remove it from the holding area and it should pop right off but be careful the spring will bounce the car down!!! BE VERY CAUTIOUS!!!:pray:

Borrowed your pic ;D

Last edited:
If I'm following this thread - and I don't claim to be, by any means - we have at least one person who removes a coilover without holding the car up. I just need it said clearly somewhere that this is one of the sillier things that I've read lately and it should not be copied by anyone who isn't both over-insured and suffering from a terminal disease.

Are you kidding?

You put the car on jack-stands. At a minimum, you put a jack under the corner that you're working on, but it is better to jack at least that end of the car so you don't have to fight with the swaybar.

Eclipses hurt when they come down, failed jacks have almost gotten me twice now. defiantly recommend jack stands

Failed jacks got you? I have used my grandfathers floor jack from the 50's almost every day, never had an issue, chalking the tires helps keep the vehicle from moving, and always use jack stands, even if they are not support all the weight. If I take a tire off, that goes under the vehicle in case something does happen, you have that extra room to crap your pants!

I would try to get a pair of vice grips on the inside shaft of the shock, as long as you are replacing it, marring it wont matter, sounds like you are just spinning this.

...chalking the tires helps keep the vehicle from moving...

Some typos are merely funny. But some typos - given the lack of common sense in the Great Unwashed (see, um, well, this thread for an example) - could be dangerous. I would suggest that people chock their other tires, instead of chalking them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back