The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Rear shock bushings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well the ones I ordered showed up today. After looking at them and the coilovers, it seems the part of bushings that would sit inside shock is close to correct size. The outside seems like it would look good too. Now the problem is the outside of bushing might just be to big for me to push the bushings in. I havent really tried anything yet. I was thinking of usinn grease and a vise since thats all I have. Ill get pics up later to show what Im talking about

Heres some pics. Help me out

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cut the bushing in half, find a washer that's the same size and put it in the middle where it was cut and push the bushing together like that. That's gonna be the easiest way to install that bushing. However I don't think that the center section of that bushing is going to come close to filling in the spot where it should go.

If your going to just sell them anyway, sell them like they are so whoever buys them and installs the bushing is liable for them.

Ive been trying to sell and no one has really showed any interest. I was hoping to get bushings that would fit and make them sell easier. Those were the closes bushings I found

You would have been far better off with the last bushing that you posted I believe. Just because it would actually fit like it was supposed to.

How much have you been asking for the coilovers?

The last bushing you posted is practically as long as the one you bought, though; 0.015" is not much of a difference. You mean because of the "hat" portions being nearly 0.5" thick? When you cut it in half, the bushing doesn't necessarily need to contact in the middle because it is double captured. Everything I'm looking at seems like it would be fine.

As for installing what you have there, if the vise doesn't work, find a long 3/4" or 5/8" bolt, nut and a couple fender washers. Line the bushing up with the coilover, stick the bolt with a fender washer through both, then load the other side of the bolt with the other fender washer and nut. Lots of lube, snug the two up so it is lined up straight, and start cranking down. That's about all I've got without modifying the bushing itself.

Prothane's website doesn't offer a suggestion for an alternative but their grease is noted as a water-resistant Teflon grease.

Energy Suspension Website said:
What kind of grease should I use before product installation?

Answer: We recommend Energy Suspension's Formula 5 Prelube. This is included in most kits which require lubrication and additional Prelube may be purchased from your local Energy Suspension authorized dealer. If you are unable to use our Formula 5 Prelube, we suggest using a synthetic, water resistant marine-grade grease for optimum lubrication and retention. Energy's Formula 5 Prelube may be purchased in bulk for commercial shop use.

Well I tried pushing it through with no luck l. I decided to cut in half and see if it would fit and still doesnt. Its too think to fit through. Guess Im going to have to look at them again and try again

Heres some pics of measurements. Now with these and the bushings on prothanes website, what do you recommend I try next?

Personally, I'd email the photo's of the measurements you posted, directly to there tech department and have bushings made (or just buy the closest size and have someone turn them smaller on a lath...

After looking at their page again and looking at the pics I posted using the digital caliper. Wouldnt this bushings pretty close and should work?

I'd expect it's going to be small -- typically these bushings are press fit in place so I would expect something with a major OD of about 1-3/16" to be ideal. IMO, 0.015" clearance all the way around seems a bit much.

That being said, that might be your best off-the-shelf option.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back