The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

rear differential brace?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
I replaced the 3 rear differential bushings on my awd talon 2g because the old ones were dry rotted and i kept getting a super loud clunking in the back that'd vibrate really hard when shifting. I replaced them with new polyurethane bushings and the differerential is still clunking. I called a shop the does custom shit and they told me they can do a brace on the rear differential. You guys think that this will solve the rear differential problem I been having?

Check your carrier bearing mounts. Also, check your U-joints for slop. Both of those can give you a clunking noise.

Also, what bushings did you buy for the rear? I need some too.

I also had the u-joints replaced, forgot about that. The carrier bearings, I never heard of. Any pictures so I can see where they're located would be nice.

They hold the drive shaft to the chassis. 2 of them.

my carrier bearings are fine. The problem is there's 3 rear differential bushings, the ones i got replaced. The two in the subframe are fine, it's just the other bushing that goes into the arm on the rear differential is where the problem is. It's causing the differential to go up and down. I'm hoping that replacing that bushing with a solid aluminum bushing will solve the problem because apparently the polyurethane bushing is causing too much slack.

my carrier bearings are fine. The problem is there's 3 rear differential bushings, the ones i got replaced. The two in the subframe are fine, it's just the other bushing that goes into the arm on the rear differential is where the problem is. It's causing the differential to go up and down. I'm hoping that replacing that bushing with a solid aluminum bushing will solve the problem because apparently the polyurethane bushing is causing too much slack.

I would recommend again what Kevin (greengoblin) mentioned before; Boston Hatcher's billet front mounts, and Frontline Fabrication's new rear differential cover with load bolts. They are worth their investment.

They have been on my car for a while (~1.5 years -- 1 race season). Work great, perfect fit, nothing broken. Completely worth the money.

Is he still making these, I want a set. Bostonhatcher?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back