The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Rattle at exactly 2750rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMiller

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Irmo, South_Carolina
I get a rattle at exactly 2750rpm from the belt side of engine in any gear and neutral, belts and pulleys look good and timing belt and components were replaced maybe 15k miles ago. The sound started about a month after i installed my prothane mounts. It sounds almost like a rattle snake with a little bit of a metal on metal sound mixed in. It only does it at 2750rpm not before, not after. Any info to help the situation would be great, thanks.

2700 is about the RPM that the second order harmonic vibration from missing or out of sync balance shafts resonate with the DSM chassis. The vibration is less noticeable below or above the resonate frequency. The Prothane mounts would cause the vibration to be more noticeable than OE Mounts.

However that just explains why at that RPM. What piece is rattling needs more looking and less theory.

Alright,
Heat shield - I run FP mani no heat shield
Loose bolts - will check tomorrow.
Timing belt tensioner arm - will look at also
Anything else i should maybe check?

Do you have any heat shields anywhere else on the exhaust?

Although, if you have an FP manifold, I would imagine you have a full exhaust under there as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back