The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Radio Installation question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanfordguamguy

Probationary Member
Dec 17, 2004
Stanford, California
Hey Ya'll,

I'm trying to install an Alpine CDQ-9831 in my '95 Eclipse, however I'm running into a few problems. There were two thick black chords that came out of my stock tape/radio player, but they don't fit any of the inlets on my Alpine player. Does anybody know what those chords are used for? They look like thick power chords but I'm not sure. My player still turns on and works fine, but it might be overheating. Not sure...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
~Vic

i'm not sure about the cords, as my stock harness has been cut & spliced to all hell-- I would say one thing though, it *can* get warm in that compartment, and alpines *do* get hot and will potentially die from overheating. I haven't had a problem in my toyota, but my buddy went through 2 in his RS, and one in his TSi, so FWIW. Plus, deck power is dirty. Put a 4 channel amp in there and disable the deck power (it'll sound better, and last longer!).

Nice deck choice by the way. I went with a 9831 so that i could match the amber dash lights. It's my one ricey failing. :D

sounds like you have the "enhanced" infinity sound system. don't hook up the 2 big wires, they go to your amp.... now... most likely you will not get any kind of sound out of the radio/cd player because the speakers go through the amp then back to the radio. I was told it would be best just to re-wire all of the speakers! It would be a pain, but that way you would be able to take out the factory amp and do it all the right way!

slow4G63 said:
sounds like you have the "enhanced" infinity sound system. don't hook up the 2 big wires, they go to your amp.... now... most likely you will not get any kind of sound out of the radio/cd player because the speakers go through the amp then back to the radio. I was told it would be best just to re-wire all of the speakers! It would be a pain, but that way you would be able to take out the factory amp and do it all the right way!

You dont have to re-wire all the speakers if they're amped up with a factory amp. Use the turn on leads coming from the factory amp and connect it to your blue remote turn on wire coming from your cd player. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back