The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Question about removing internals from Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunp

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2008
Snellville, Georgia
I have a 1g head that needs the springs, valves, retainers, valve seals and valve guides removed. All of these parts are new and have never been used. I decided to go with a 2g head and would like to swap these parts. Will I need to take the head to a machinist to have the parts removed from the head?

Thanks
Shaun

Unless you can get the tool to compress the springs and remove the keepers youll need to take it to a machinist. I took my whold head apart myself then took it to the machinist to get rebuilt to save a little money because they charge to remove the parts.

My main concern is the valve guides, will they be difficult to remove? I was not sure if they were pressed in. I just ordered a Lisle magnetic valve keeper and retainer remover.

No you won't need to take it to a machine shop. You will need a valve spring compressor to remove springs and retainers. As for seals just replace them there like 20 bucks a set and will likely get F'd up during removal. Your valves will just pull out the bottom at this point so that's easy enough. Now the guides will be the most difficult piece of this puzzle, they make valve guide drivers for removal of valve guides, just be careful to not let the driver hit the head casting on the way out and scratch it. I am not entirely sure on the reuse of valve guides I personally did not reuse them on the head I did but they were broke from bent valves when I took them out so I obviously needed new ones. Hope this helps you out man and good luck. If you have more questions there is a thread "How to change valve guides in a 4G63T head" has pics and everything.

Reusing guides is kind of stupid if you ask me. Just buy some new ones if the other head needs guides. They are cheap. As far as pulling the springs, retainers and valves out. That can easily be done without a spring compressor. You will need a deepwell socket, an extension and a hammer. You will lay the head on a table with a soft rag between the table and valves. From there sit the socket on top of the retainer with the extension in it. Than take the hammer and smack the extension until the keepers fall out. It is real simple to do. Usually a few whacks and they fall right out. As for valve seals. You will destroy the old ones removing them. You can pick up a set for around 20 bucks from rockauto.com so it is a good idea to buy new ones.

I know autozone used to have valve spring compressors in there loan a tool program.
Might check that.
Everything is easy to swap except the guide, those are a little tougher.
And worth replacing, if you have it torn down that far just do to make sure.
Nothing sucks more then putting it all back together and finding out you have a bad one.

If you change the guides the seats will need to be cut!

The rest can be swapped from one head to the other, I would get a new set of seals, they are a one shot deal, once installed on the guide thats it, you will loose the press fit, or distroy the seal when you remove it.

The 2g head I want to use has no bent valves, could I just replace the springs, retainers, valves and valves seals or would it be best to replace the valve guides as well? What I'm getting from the two links posted above is that the valve guides are replace only if there are bent valves?

Guides only need replaced if they are cracked or have excess wear.

If you do not have the proper guide work tools you can end up doing more damage to the head.

Yes you can swap the valves, springs, and retainers from one head to the other.

Just make sure that you measure and set the springs to the proper installed height.

Check valve tip height and make sure it falls into the proper spec range.

The 2g head I want to use has no bent valves, could I just replace the springs, retainers, valves and valves seals or would it be best to replace the valve guides as well? What I'm getting from the two links posted above is that the valve guides are replace only if there are bent valves?

I would just sell the 1g head. Than take the 2g head apart clean it, lap the valves and re-assemble it with new seals and springs. You will have to lap the valves regardless.

Hi,
I found a tool from a review I watched on YouTube.
It looks like a great tool to remove springs retainers and locks.

Tool: Lisle 36050
Link below
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=LIS36050&source=froogle&kw=LIS36050

Just wanted to know if this tool would work on 4g63t .

The link shows the allowed tolerances but I'm unsure if it will work correctly.

If anyone knows more info please help me.

I like the ease of this tool. It would be great for my toolbox.

Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back