The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

PVC Overflow Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaintmaci

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 22, 2010
Washington, Pennsylvania
I recently installed a VRSF FMIC on my 1GA GSX. I am about to make myself a PVC catch can, and was wondering about making a matching coolant overflow bottle. My only concern would be the coolant eating through the cement. Has anyone attempted one of these. I tried a search and came up with mostly catch cans, no overflow bottles.

I know I can go buy a universal one, but I would rather make it myself. Its a pride thing.

Thanks.

Using a different glue is no problem at all. I just did not know if the regular plumbers glue would be eaten away by the properties in the coolant.

I don't know the bonding properties of plumbers glue but its safe to say that it may not handle the environment of an engine bay and I'm guessing the alcohol based glycol coolant. So I would go with a stronger glue. You could always glue two pieces together and soak them in antifreeze and see what happens.

I figure when I build the catch can, I will go ahead and fab one. Ill take a look and see what types of glues look best. Worse case, I will modify my stock one.

What would be a good size for this? I have some prefab'd 3" CF tubing that I just need to make end caps for. 6" would be almost a qrt.

I am going to take my stock one and see how much it holds. I may go 3". At the moment I have a Monster bottle in there. It works alright, but I wanted something a little more rigid. You could really go any size pipe you want, as long as the length is right. The bigger the pipe OD, the shorter the length would need to be.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I hid mine down to the left in front of the wheel well. I want to change it to something cleaner and use push connect tubing.
Here's my leftover CF tubing, I just have to come up with end caps.....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Finish sanding it, clear it and clean out the cobwebs! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to take a trip to Home depot or Lowes. See what I can figure out. I may go to walmart and take a look at the aluminum water bottles. I was seeing some Mustang guys using them for overflows. May be another option to take.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back