The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Coolant overflow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipperXX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2003
Royston, Georgia
Well since I'm currently sitting around at work with nothing to do, in preparation of modifying and installing my FMIC. I have started making a Coolant overflow tank. I want it to be recirculated though with a sight tube. So I can't do much more until I get fittings but here's what I have so far.

Any advice is welcomed btw.

Started off with some 3" disks that were plugs/ scrap from our CNC laser machine, so I looked at the JM fab overflow and noticed it is 3"x8.5" cool, that should be a quart or more. Happen to have a piece of scrap 8.5x10 1/4" scrap aluminum sitting in my stash so I grabbed it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I incorrectly was thinking the 10 1/4" would roll to 3" I.D....I was wrong. I ended up with 3 1/4" I.D. DOH!

Oh well, I'll make it work...grabbed some pieces of scrap that were 3.5" wide strips the same gauge and chopped them down close enough and welded it on. Then over to the band saw to cut off the excess, little geinding...oops to much I can see cracks I spots when polishing...go back and re-weld.

Ahhh there we go. Now for the top piece, this time I traced out the circle then went over to the brake and chopped it down real close and just broke out a file.

Now I just need to get some fittings and figure out how the two lines and vent need to be set up, might need to order a couple boss's not sure, might just try welding on some 1/8 squares and drill and tap those for the fittings. Some tubing and hopefully I'll be in business. Going to hold off on any mounting solution until I have the piping in place.

Last edited:
I made mine yesterday aswell, it's been a while coming but I needed to make it and it's used with 6AN lines and fittings with my modified upper thermostat housing aswell. I've got to make my 2nd tank yet as to catch all my coolant as it's expensive waterless stuff so if I can catch any it's better for me LOL

ive had these caps for like 2 years waiting to be done haha. they are not cheap cheap but i like quality items myself, all is welded inside for a nice smooth outer finish, i was planning to make a PS tank but now ditching PS and I was going to use a bigger one on a valve cover but went Billet instead and getting rid of the weak oem ones

Small update...I'm cheap, so I grabbed some 1/8" aluminum and chopped up 4, 1" squares then hammered a contour into them on a piece of round bar steel. Welded onto the 1/16" thick overflow...should give enough to tap and screw in a brass fitting that's just holding a hose I figure.

Got them on there for a sight tube, fill/return and overflow drain/vent. So there's 4, just can't see the 4th.

Last edited:
Just need to grab the hose so I know what size to of fittings to get and head to the hardware store so I can wrap it up.... think teflon tape would be needed? it is brass screwing into aluminum, a soft metal into a very soft metal... bah probably will use it just encase.

Well, I got bored again, and I'm cheap... found some aluminum tubing. So why buy barb fittings?

And just saved like $100. :)

How do these compare against stock coolant reservoirs? Any extra Benefits?

How you gonna put coolant in it?

Via the port that has the pickup tube...or vent either would work fine to put some in it. I see no reason to want to fill it any higher than just above the pickup tube. Which wouldn't be much.

How do these compare against stock coolant reservoirs? Any extra Benefits?

It's smaller, so I can run the short route intercooler piping without it interfering. The OEM unit is in the way.

I'm looking into this for clearance also. Does anyone know how far the reservoir can be from radiator without affecting it's ability to fill and empty as needed.

I'm looking into this for clearance also. Does anyone know how far the reservoir can be from radiator without affecting it's ability to fill and empty as needed.
I have mine mounted onto the transmission, which is a bit further down. Plenty of people mount theirs where the stock SMIC was. As long as it's air tight it shouldn't matter where you put it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back