The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Putting a turbo speedometer panel into non-turbo car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryndon

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Bulgaria, Europe
Hey all, and Merry Christmas!

I have an EUDM 1996 Eclipse GS with the F5M31-2-ZVZT manual transmission.

I want to fit a 2G GSX or GS-T dash so I can get the MPH readings too, but I am not sure if the speedometer will still be accurate, since my current one is only in KM/H and goes up until 250, whereas the Turbo models go up to 270 KMH.

Here's a comparison of the US turbo model dash (on the left), and my car's dash in KMH (on the right). Clearly there is about 20-30 KMH difference of doing 120 kilometers an hour on each dash.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know that all DSMs get their speed reading off the transmission, but does the speedo itself automatically adjust based on it, or will it give me false readings because I have a different tranny and possibly different speedo gear ratios?

If you're wondering why I want to switch it to a MPH dash, it's because I will be driving my car to the UK, where speed is also measured in MPH!

Thanks for reading.

The signal will be the same out of the transmission. Where it's different is in the actual dash. The speedometer unit has some electronics in it to turn the trans signal into the output on the dash.

The signal will be the same out of the transmission. Where it's different is in the actual dash. The speedometer unit has some electronics in it to turn the trans signal into the output on the dash.

So if I just replace the whole dash and reconnect all the switches, it will always show the correct speed that I'm doing?

The pinouts in the dash will be different than yours. Notice how the turbo boost is on the left where your oil temp is there. It sucks they don't have the mph in red on yours like khm is on the US ones.

True, but I think the electrical loom still has the same turbo boost connections on there, but they can't attach to anything obviously since there's no snail. In the future I will be charging my car, so that will just get connected to the boost gauge on the US dash.

But thanks for your reply though! I'll have to source a working turbo dash with mph readings from somewhere and swap it in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back