The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Project Fix Josh's Car / Mechanics Meet

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98GSXin

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2010
Santa Clara, California
Josh (josh408) has been given the runaround by a bull s*** mechanic and its costed him far more time and money than it should have. I propose that we get a short notice meet set up asap down at his place in gilroy to help him out. If we got 3 or 4 people over there at least, we could get this mess fixed in a day tops.

Next Saturday. It's going down. I'll bring my engine hoist and some tools. Let's help a fellow dsmer out and have a good time while we're at it.

Who's down?
1.98gsxin- Jacob

I will also help out... Weekends are hard for me.. But what needs to be done? Any parts needed? I have everything needed, just need to know what I needs!

Well from what I've gathered the "mechanic" didn't have a clue what was going on through the whole process. I think the engine and tranny are in, but we need to double check torque specs and fitment and everything to be safe. The mechanic said the turbo "didn't fit", but its a stock manifold and t25.... radiator is out. I dunno what else. Josh try and fill us in on anything I'm missing.

I already have my GSX taking up work space at home. Having another broke down dsm at home would probably be too much for my mom to grin and bear haha.

Last edited:
If everyone is very serious about it. I'll call in Saturday and assist as much as possible. So far you said everything Jacob. It's pretty much the mechanic has no idea what he's doing. He's trying to figure it out As he goes in my opinion. But my question is where are we going to do everything? I mean I can try and find a place but everyone I know works weekends. Unless I pressure the mechanic to let us use his shop so no towing is required

orange cones and side of the road? HAHAHAHA

just find a street that isn't too busy.

Did he try and drop a long block in or did he try and do a head job... I have no idea what was done... If he did a head gasket job there is a lot of "what if's" if he opened that can of worms... If this guy is so dunst that he couldn't figure out how to put a turbo in, There is no way he did a proper head job. Not to sound obvious but if he did then I would start over with getting the head pressure checked, and check the flatness of the plain, new head gasket,,, ect ect. In other words more then a days work. But if he just dropped in a long block and couldn't figure out the bolt ons then your good..so what was the problem before you brought the car to this yahoo and what did he do(that you know of) he might have done a few things you don't know about... Lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.756703,-119.867874

The old problem was I blew a piston and coolant hose. I just got out of court for my state ref stuff and all I need is the state ref certificate and the judge will reduce the fine. My next court date is October 24th

Did he try and drop a long block in or did he try and do a head job... I have no idea what was done...

The "mechanic" took out the old motor. Put in a freshly machined and "rebuilt" one. The crank is new. The head was gone through. The transmission is a new "rebuilt" one. We've got to check basically everything over again to make sure it was done properly.

The use of quotation marks is used loosely because this "mechanic" is 1) retarded and 2) unreliable. Everything told to Josh by this guy could have just been what he wanted to hear. There was no way to prove much of any of it. I'm sorry Josh, but you really have no way of knowing what this guy put in your car unless you were asking 20 questions about each item.

The one time I did stop by to check this "mechanic's" work out it seemed like he was in the process of a full tear down. The crank and block were separate and shining as if they had been through at least a hot tanking session. Hopefully the "mechanic" had a real machine shop do the work and he was just trying to play Mr. Fix-It by puzzling it all together. That would be the best case scenario though. This car could be a whole batch of crazy right now... haha.

Wel heres how everything looks as of now. i took a video and some pictures of my car and the place its at, i talked to the "mechanic" and asked if we can use his shop and he said yes. but as a back up we can do it at my storage place in my apartments

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ERQ5rudNFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• 101_0086.jpg
    101_0086.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 96
  • 101_0087.jpg
    101_0087.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 101_0088.jpg
    101_0088.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 101_0089.jpg
    101_0089.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 101_0090.jpg
    101_0090.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0091.jpg
    101_0091.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 101_0092.jpg
    101_0092.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 101_0093.jpg
    101_0093.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 92
  • 101_0094.jpg
    101_0094.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 101_0095.jpg
    101_0095.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 101_0096.jpg
    101_0096.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 101_0097.jpg
    101_0097.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 101_0098.jpg
    101_0098.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 101_0099.jpg
    101_0099.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 101_0100.jpg
    101_0100.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 83
Why did you have him put the 14b on there when you are trying to go back to stock with the t25? Do you still have the stock intercooler setup somewhere?

I didnt have him put it on there he did it himself i said put the t-25 on there but he said and i quote "it doesn't fit" and he said today i am missing some piping for the air box and stuff he brought out the chilton manual for my car and i kind of laughed and he pointed out 3 things i was missing apparently.

Well that's what I feared when he rebuilt it himself... You don't know if he tq anything on the bottom end right, you don't know if he polished the crank and spec'ed the bearings for correct fitment, what gasket set he used, head bolt specs... Wow. How frustrating..Josh you need to make a complaint to the BBB. Taking too long for one. And not knowing how to do anything...so I can't load the video on my phone but is the turbo installed completely that you can tell? And at this point you just need to hook the rest of the wiring harness, intake/boost tubes, rad and fluids and start your car right?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.013504,-120.134286

I'm not saying yes I'm not saying no, my best assumption is no but I could be wrong. But from shanes post it sounds like this is going to take longer than a day :(

the bigger question is do you trust the work he has already done? If you finish the install and the motor is ####ed, he doesn't have to do SHIT in terms of warrenty because he can say you ####ed it up. Either you tear it down and check everything he did or you let him finish it I say. Don't want to end up with a motor you can't use and a mechanic who won't warrenty the #### up.

The harness should take seconds, minutes max. If I could spare the time away from my car I'd love to come and help, but the best thing I can do is the above suggestion. Tear everything down, make sure it was done right and put it back together fixing everything he ####ed up.

Sucks but it has to be done.

How long would this take and what time is everyone coming down? I'm pretty sure he's tested the motor. But your right I don't fully trust how he built it. I'll have to ask if he tested it at all.

Well sitting in its' current state, there's no way that thing has been started/tested. Our best bet then I guess is to install everything outside the engine and start it up/break it in. If all we do is install the turbo intercooler etc, then we can't be liable for the motor if it takes a shit on us. Maybe get it all on video as evidence... If we can prove that all we did was install parts around the "mechanic's" previous work, then you can still prove he ####ed the motor up if that's the case. Then you won't be on the hook for paying for his bs "repairs".

Well sitting in its' current state, there's no way that thing has been started/tested. Our best bet then I guess is to install everything outside the engine and start it up/break it in. If all we do is install the turbo intercooler etc, then we can't be liable for the motor if it takes a shit on us. Maybe get it all on video as evidence... If we can prove that all we did was install parts around the "mechanic's" previous work, then you can still prove he ####ed the motor up if that's the case. Then you won't be on the hook for paying for his bs "repairs".

this is true, i can record it. Once again you guys really don't know how much this means to me. I am glad i met you guys no doubt.

Last edited:
Holy sh**. i basically run into the same problem. I bought the car off a dude that "supposely" the engine was barely rebuilt and shit. So i drove it home without any problem until the damn thing start to smoke bluish. (oil) I notice oil residue around head where exhaust mani mounts and all. Damn thing in cold starts it idles at 3 then drops to 1.3-1.5k rpm. I love the car due to the power but im hating the problems. he was selling the car for 3500 then dropped it to 2300 but since he was a friendly guy he said i can pay him the 1700 then the other 600 in 3 weeks. I called him up about the problem and he was sayin he was goingto take it to his mechanic and all. As of now I aint payin the extra 600 for shit. Im hoping it is valve seals. When I drive no smoke is seen only during stops. No smoke in start up either only when the car warmsup smoke starts comig out of the tail pipe. Now yesterday coolant startingn hissing and leaking out of the oil filter housing area. WTF?!

this is true, i can record it. Once again you guys really don't know how much this means to me. I am glad i met you guys no doubt.

Hey dude I can go help you out. Maybe someone can help me with a quick diagnose at the spot? Where is this going to be at? :rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back