The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

problem with torque converter not spinning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxrtalon

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2005
Harrison, Michigan
Just bought a 97 gst with a 6bolt swap already done. I bought the car with a grinding noise while attempting to start the car but started after grind. Once starter the car ran great. Well the starter went on me so I rebuilt that and while that was off I decide to attempt to take the tranny off. Not a good idea, being my first auto and not having the right tools I eventually screwed myself and unbolted the tranny mounts and the bell housing from the block without removing the flexplate bolts. The bell housing came off the block about a half inch while the torque converter was still attached to the flexplate. I attempted to mount the tranny back up and spin the converter to remove the rest of the flexplate bolts however the converter will not spin. Is the converter bound on something or did the converter twist out? Any help would be great. Thanks

Well with the converter still attached you need to turn the engine. Trying to turn the converter will be difficult. Just get a 22 mm socket and a rachet and put on the bolt in the center of the balancer and turn the engine clockwise. Now you may have everything binded up which means your going to need a friend and lift and wiggle thhe tranyy while turn the engine.

Center of the balancer? Not sure I follow completely. I have tried to spin the converter using a screw driver pushing against the teeth of the converter. Not much luck.

if you determine you have a bad torque convertor, i can get you a good one for cheap! good luck!

ok not to bring up a slightly dead thread but I finally got the converter spinning freely and the new rebuilt starter put back on with the proper shimming. However, I am still stuck with the same problem I began with. GRINDING!!!! As I turn the key something is making an awful grinding noise for a second or two then the car fires up. Once running the car runs and drives perfect. I had a mechanic shimmy under the car while on jack stand and listen and watch while I starter it and he said there was metal shavings coming from somewhere. So I took the starter back off and the teeth didnt look like they were being ground down any and the teeth on the converter dont look as if they have been grinding. Im at a lose here guys please if anyone has any ideas let me know otherwise she's goin' up for sale.

fire up the thread again. So I have tried everything I know so far. I just had the starter rebuilt. Told the shop it was for a 97 FWD Turbo eclipse. Im thinking there are some spacing issues somewhere. With the car on jack stands I had someone lay under the car while I attempted to start it. Once I cranked it over he yelled to stop. He said there were metal shavings falling onto his face. Ill crank it once for about 3 seconds(grinds bad) then Ill turn it off. Crank it again for about 3 seconds grinds then fires right up. Is the starter not engaging enough? Too much? Torque converter warped? I have the kiggly kit on it. Just replaced the flexplate. Any other ideas. Is there a plate for the starter or between the fp/converter. A spacer of some kind im missing.

Ps. the previous owner said the Kiggly kit was in it. I know the shim plate is in but after reading the IPT website, Im not sure if there is a crankshaft bushing. Would that possibly be my problem?

Go to autozone or something and buy a starter for a Automatic 97 Turbo FWD Eclipse.. the starters as stated above are quite different. I have already been through this. Try spinning the engine with the car in neutral.. spin it at the crank pulley clockwise and counter.. see if its binding up at all.

Scott

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back