The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Power steering leak.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusu

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2009
Independence, Oregon
So I checked the rebuild article and every other thread mentioning power steering leaks.

After researching on here and other forums I came up with someone saying they are 10mm and 12mm o rings with a 1.5 thickness.

BUT! After reading on I found another user saying they are listed as 11mm and 13mm with a 1.9 thickness in the manual. If you look in the rebuild thread it says the EXACT same thing.

I am not arguing if this is true or not but am hoping I can hear someone's experience on using 11 and 13mm o-rings. I have heard lots of good stories about 10 and 12mm working but then they have all bitched about it leaking again later.

I realize o-rings fail because of cold and lose their elasticity from cold. So I would figure using the actual size would work better but would like to hear someone confirm this.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is to ask if the 11-13mm size is the inner or outer diameter of the o-ring? I have never needed to buy o-rings so I honestly have no idea. I was going to buy some today and saw that and decided I should hold off until I can find my answer!

Thanks for reading. I know I have been really needy latelyROFL

So I checked the rebuild article and every other thread mentioning power steering leaks.

After researching on here and other forums I came up with someone saying they are 10mm and 12mm o rings with a 1.5 thickness.

BUT! After reading on I found another user saying they are listed as 11mm and 13mm with a 1.9 thickness in the manual. If you look in the rebuild thread it says the EXACT same thing.

I am not arguing if this is true or not but am hoping I can hear someone's experience on using 11 and 13mm o-rings. I have heard lots of good stories about 10 and 12mm working but then they have all bitched about it leaking again later.

I realize o-rings fail because of cold and lose their elasticity from cold. So I would figure using the actual size would work better but would like to hear someone confirm this.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is to ask if the 11-13mm size is the inner or outer diameter of the o-ring? I have never needed to buy o-rings so I honestly have no idea. I was going to buy some today and saw that and decided I should hold off until I can find my answer!

Thanks for reading. I know I have been really needy latelyROFL

Just get the OEM rebuilt kit for like 25 and nothing to worry about.

My O-rings were hard and cracked when I took the fitting apart, causing the leak.I simply just took the o-rings to the local auto parts store and matched them up with some they had.Sorry I don't remember the size,but I found some that were metric and seemed to match up well.I installed them and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

Just get the OEM rebuilt kit for like 25 and nothing to worry about.

I don't really want to get an entire rebuild kit for my PS when it is only leaking at the pump. While yes, it is a good idea to do it just so everything is functioning properly, I don't want to spend that kind of money on it right now.

I'd really like to just replace the cheap o-rings and have it stop leaking until I can find the time to fully rebuild the power steering pump.

Still a good suggestion though.

*edit* nocardick posted while I was posting. I would actually do this if I hadn't tried matching them before with o-rings that seemed the same size. My guess is they looked the same size because they had either been replaced improperly before by the previous owner or they had shrank from expanding and contracting over the years.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back