The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Please identify control arm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakmon

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2002
Canada
Pics are not the greatest, but can someone please identify the control arm (or is this the front axle) being pointed at. It is the front drivers side arm that goes into the rotor housing. When turned, the wheel grinds quite badly so I am quite sure the whole arm needs to be replaced.

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• control arm 001.jpg
    control arm 001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 288
  • control arm 002.jpg
    control arm 002.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 293
that thing you have your hand around is the axle, and you will have to pry it off of the intermediate shalf. My friend and I had to change that axle and we just took the intermediate shaft off and beat the axle off with a hammer.

The grinding noise can be one of two things:

First off, it looks like you axle boot is torn and is/was losing its grease; this could have ended up with a damaged cv joint; which would click heavily or grind when damaged.

Second, if it is a wheel bearing that has failed, you should be able to test that by wiggling the wheel back/forth, side to side, etc with the car on a jack stand.

I would not reccomend removing your axle from the hub assembly by "hammering it out".

If you are going to remove the axle, you will need to remove the wheel, then remove the cotter pin from the axle and remove the axle nut and washer. Then you will disconnect the steering tie rod end (17mm castellated nut with a cotter pin) from the control arm, then disconnect the strut assembly (two 17mm nuts/washers/bolts) attached to the control arm, then disconnect the upper ball joint (17mm nut). Then you will make sure you don't damage your brake line attached to the wheel well, and pop the axle out. If it doesn't go easily, you should use an axle puller or a hammer by spinning the axle nut to the end of the threads, so you do not mushroom the axle shaft. If you do, then you will not get the nut back on, and you will not get the axle out of the hub assembly. That is why I would reccomend purchasing an axle puller. They are like $15 at a parts store. See http://www.vfaq.com/mods/CVboots.html for details on axle removal by hammer method.

Thanks for the info. The axle is very loose. Would this cause a hesitation in forward movement ( mostly 1st and 2nd gear)? Is there anything else I should replace while I am at it?

Thanks

On a 1g, it's easier to remove the lower control arm from the subframe, than to remove the strut mount and tie rod. There is no upper ball joint. Saves the possibility of messing up the alignment also. :thumb:

(Sorry 'bout your toes, Tim.)

hey Jim! No problems, since I am a 2g guy normally.

I hope that your car is doing well!

PM me!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back