1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Painting heat shields ?

Posted by 97moneyhole, Jun 10, 2007

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. 97moneyhole

97moneyhole Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2005
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    hi guys, i just have a coulpe quick question. Would Dupli-Color High Heat with Ceramic Engine paint rated a 1200 deg be appropiate for painting my heat shields. If not what would be.

2. GVR4592

GVR4592 Proven Member

Joined Oct 2, 2004
    Bellingham, Washington
    GVR4592

590  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  3. 97moneyhole

Joined Jun 12, 2005
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    thanks for the reply. the reason i ask is because a have already painted them but i believe they hold to much heat in(if there is such a thing). After puting my heat shields back on after painting them i went for a 25min drive last night at an avg of 75mph. When i pop the hood after stoping i noticed that the manifold was cherry red.(is that normal, i have been running without the heat shields)

4. GVR4592

GVR4592 Proven Member

Joined Oct 2, 2004
    Bellingham, Washington
    I wouldn't say that it's normal, but it's common. The heat shields probably don't have anything to do with it.

GVR4592

590  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  5. 97moneyhole

Joined Jun 12, 2005
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    so should i be worried about cooking my new turbo? i've checked the plugs(no sign of running to rich or lean plus i have a wideband o2 to help monitor) i am currently running about 18psi.

6. rich3389

rich3389 Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2006
    Ocean springs, Mississippi
    When i was cruising on hte highway at 75 mph the other week and then broke down (LOL)ROFL , I popped my hood and my manifold was also cherry red. I've heard that is normal especially traveling at higher speeds and after boosting.

815  10

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. Mack

Mack Proven Member

Joined May 7, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I used grill paint on mine (may not look as good as engine paint). It has held up well, and required no prepwork. Only downside is it comes in one color.......

8. 97moneyhole

Joined Jun 12, 2005
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    thanks for the suggestions, i just want to make sure that i am not going to ruin my turbo.

9. Drifter27_04

Drifter27_04 Proven Member

Joined Feb 13, 2005
    Winston Salem, North Carolina
    Since your putting the heat shield back on just wrap the manifold and paint the shield also. This way it will keep alot of that heat from the shield and around the engine compartment.

421  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.140 @ 109.000 · 1G DSM