The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Our mirage is finally ready for the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglady112

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2004
Commerce City, Colorado
After two years of Jason farting around and changing things until he found a combo he was comfortable with, I think we are ready. Just a short video showing some CSM hotness ready to stretch its legs.

Basic cliff notes-
1989 Mirage
2.0L- Ross pistons/stock rods
1150cc injectors(soon to be WAY to small)
Walbro wired off the alternator
Borg Warner "S366" T4 .91 Divided housing
Rev-hard manifold
Ebay water/air intercooler
Ebay clutch
Home built transmission with double syncros all around
LSD insert
BC 280 cams
23' slicks
Around 2200lbs without driver

YouTube - ‪1989 Mitsubishi Mirage 2-step‬‏

I will update when we get the first test session out of the way.

Right around 6000. I can get some better figures once we finish tuning it. But it is very responsive. Or at least compared to the S475 we had on there.

Had transmission and traction issues.

First run-
22psi
Went to shift into third and could not. Had to let off and shift slow to get in third. Went to shift into fourth and the pressure plate was fused to the flywheel. The clutch acted like there was no hydraulic pressure but came back off the floor. Over a minute went by and it finally came back after I shut the car off.

Ended up coasting to a 12.0@110

Second run-
Everything looked good after the clutch came back. So we turned the boost up a little. Well it ended up going to 29psi with just a 1 1/2 turn of the controller. Had to race a dragster. Burn out was terrible, my worst ever indeed. Went to launch and things went well. Got into third gear and saw smoke coming out of the exhaust(sticks out the hood) then a steady flame. I thought it was me, but my friends say it was the dragster, one of us(likely him as he did get out of it early). Between the smoke, fire and him(hopefully) breaking up, I let out of it before the 1000ft. Coasted to a 12.4@108.

Third run-
Car went a bit lean(out of pump and injector). So I turned the boost back 3/4 of a turn. Ended up being 27psi. Did what I thought was a good burn out. They said only one tire smoked. Ended up cutting a 1.7 60ft(best the car has ever done/fwd car). Hung on the limiter pretty good in first, banged second really well, knew it was going to be stupid so I lifted and just let it go in as fast as it could to third. Lost a bunch of boost. Had to respool. Forgot to no lift to shift into fourth, had to respool again. Ended up with a 12.1@117.

Turning up the boost got us no where. Even with a decent track a 7" wide tire is not enough to get this car down the track.

First run was mid 7's@95mph in the 1/8th mile.
Second run was high 8's@85-86mph in the 1/8th.
Third run was mid 8's@ 86mph in the 1/8th.

So it was a big learning experience. First time for me racing the car. It went ok, but we thought for sure it would do 11's with low boost. After looking back at the datalog's, the super slow shifts into third gear and forgetting to NLTS into fourth certainly cost us the 11 we thought we had.

We have an incar of the last run, but forgot to shut it off and when we remembered it ran to almost a 15 minute video. We are trying to figure out how to edit it now. Also had an in car of the second, but deleted it because it ran for ever too and we had to let out early anyway. There is a super small video out of the car on the second run. But I think we are just going to delete it as you can't see anything.

Right around 6000. I can get some better figures once we finish tuning it. But it is very responsive. Or at least compared to the S475 we had on there.

Are you getting full spool at 6k or just starting to spool? I plan on running the s366 as well. If it's that high, I'll get the 362

We run a undivided RevHard T4 manifold. And a .91 T4 divided S366. In third and fourth right at 6000 it hits full boost(what it is set to). I will see about emailing the datalogs to myself from his computer to post up. There is a lot be desired if this was setup "correctly". Balling on a budget here and just making do.

I imagine a smaller T3 housing will do bring down spool a bunch. I HIGHLY recommend this turbo. Keep in mind it was 95* last night and we race at 5800ft. Density altitude was over 9200ft I think last night.

The tranny is coming out saturday. Third is damaged and has been for along time. Not sure but it has done this for a long time, but we have never bothered as the car has been sitting. We will repair what is needed and go back hopefully.

We rev to 8500rpm. Third is not nice at nearly any rpm. Every gear but third is fine at 8500rpm. Home built FWD tranny.

If we can edit the video from 15 minutes down to just the run I will throw it up. Our other friend might be able to do it.

We run a undivided RevHard T4 manifold. And a .91 T4 divided S366. In third and fourth right at 6000 it hits full boost(what it is set to). I will see about emailing the datalogs to myself from his computer to post up. There is a lot be desired if this was setup "correctly". Balling on a budget here and just making do.

I imagine a smaller T3 housing will do bring down spool a bunch. I HIGHLY recommend this turbo. Keep in mind it was 95* last night and we race at 5800ft. Density altitude was over 9200ft I think last night.

The tranny is coming out saturday. Third is damaged and has been for along time. Not sure but it has done this for a long time, but we have never bothered as the car has been sitting. We will repair what is needed and go back hopefully.

We rev to 8500rpm. Third is not nice at nearly any rpm. Every gear but third is fine at 8500rpm. Home built FWD tranny.

If we can edit the video from 15 minutes down to just the run I will throw it up. Our other friend might be able to do it.

Ok, that's what I wanted to hear. I will be getting this turbo.

Ever thought about have a shop built trans (Shep, TMZ, Magnus, Dogboxx) ?

Nope. We can do all the same stuff and have access to all the same parts. What they do is nothing special. Yep I said it. Unless you go with an actual dog engagemnt transmission, all that those guys put in are stock mitsubishi parts.

This tranny shifted fine all the way to 9250rpm last year in testing with a Borg Warner S475. Third is damaged, it is not a matter of being able to shift or not. It is not RPM dependent. It does it just driving normal.

We have a lot of capabilities for these transmissions as well. We put some shafts and shift rails in a case that did not belong. When you have access to a real machine shop(think CNC production type atmosphere) you can get crazy.

We went 214mph last year with a home brew tranny at only 6200rpm. And that is with two more gear selections before he attempts to make his own gear. We have to max out what we have first before we try that crap.

Oh, and before I gave my car to my friend, I spent all of $90 in parts on the transmission and it would shift 9000rpm all day. They are not rocket science, especially the FWD transmissions.

Nope. We can do all the same stuff and have access to all the same parts. What they do is nothing special. Yep I said it. Unless you go with an actual dog engagemnt transmission, all that those guys put in are stock mitsubishi parts.

This tranny shifted fine all the way to 9250rpm last year in testing with a Borg Warner S475. Third is damaged, it is not a matter of being able to shift or not. It is not RPM dependent. It does it just driving normal.

We have a lot of capabilities for these transmissions as well. We put some shafts and shift rails in a case that did not belong. When you have access to a real machine shop(think CNC production type atmosphere) you can get crazy.

We went 214mph last year with a home brew tranny at only 6200rpm. And that is with two more gear selections before he attempts to make his own gear. We have to max out what we have first before we try that crap.

Oh, and before I gave my car to my friend, I spent all of $90 in parts on the transmission and it would shift 9000rpm all day. They are not rocket science, especially the FWD transmissions.

Well then I see your reasoning! LOL Kudo's to you guys.

Here are the logs from our three passes.

Looks like 6500 in third and 6000 in 4th for full boost. Granted this is with having to completely respool it. Still a little rough on the tune. We had just a short while before the track to get it close. Then had the fuel overrun issues I was trying to mask. But still low timing and some work to be done.

Attachments

• log.2011.06.22-01.elg
    27.3 KB · Views: 38
  • log.2011.06.22-02.elg
    24.9 KB · Views: 35
  • log.2011.06.22-03.elg
    44.9 KB · Views: 35
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back