The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Opinions Welcome, Jumping back into the scene?!

Should I purchase this car? Please post opinions!

• Get the damn car already quit asking about it....

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • It may be a better idea to pass on this car...

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98RedGs

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2002
Bogalusa, Louisiana
Ok you guys, I'm sorry first off for not being around much as many things are going on outside of the internet that require a large amount of my attention, but I know DSM'ers will understand that 101%!

Now the scene hasn't changed much at all and I've come across a chance to pickup a DSM that I'm strongly considering and would like some opinions.

Specs:
its purple/silver with a black hood.
has 138,000 miles on it
most of the interior is missing (carpets, back seat etc) As far as i can tell, the car just needs the transfer case and the cam timing reset. The chassis would be great for a project. Going to take a loss on it considering i just did the clutch and flywheel, timing belt, etc.

I've talked to him a few times on the phone so far and he's just replaced the clutch/flywheel with an ACT2600+Flywheel combo so I know the clutch will be new. I'll have to checkout the tranny as best as I can 1-3 shifts? And see if it feels like it's notchy or if it grinds at all but he's said it does not.

There's no rust on the car at all and the paint isn't great but hey, it's an older car, so I don't expect perfection. The transfer case to his knowledge is what's wrong with the car since they've been trying to fix it to where he can drive it back to where he is moving but cannot fix it so wants to sell it. His words were I believe the coupling went out so it's trying to send the power to the rear and since it's bad it obivously doesn't get there. Again this is his opinion guys, but the way we spoke on the phone calls we've had it definitely points to he sounds like he's right.

ONTO THE PICS AND PRICE!?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/Attack Banana/211.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/Attack Banana/208.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/Attack Banana/206.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/Attack Banana/212.jpg

Price he's asking is $500 bones.

It's missing some of it's interior, like the carpet, the seats aren't great , it's missing the backseat and headliner. Also the car does not have A/C or Cruise Control but if it's more of a "weekend warrior" type car then it's not going to need either of those I'm sure :hellyeah:.

What I'm asking my boys both new and old is if they think I should get it? Tackle the problems and turn it into a maybe 11-12second car. That's all I'd like to get out of it. But with the engine being at 140k I'm very timid of trying to do so... I've searched a few of our old threads (mod habit) and haven't really seen many things that help me steer myself in the right direction but I will say money is going to be tight the next few months so I won't be building this beast over a week or two... it will take me some time.

CAST YOUR VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
John

I'd say go for it.. Hell for $500 you can part that thing out if you ever decide it was a bad idea, which is still a good investment. T cases aren't that difficult to find for 1g's either!

What does he mean by "cam timing needs to be reset"? Is it off by a tooth or so, and how long has the car ran that way? The motor at 140k isn't all that bad, I've personally seen a 1g with 160k+ on the block dipping into mid 11's.

Either way I see a $500 1g awd as the perfect way to get back into the DSM game. If I was out of it for a while, there's no way I'd pass this up if I had the cash to throw around. You might even be able to work with him on the price. Great find!

Hey RED nice find I looked at it about 2 weeks ago. Had to pass on it becuase we got a house instead..Its actually from where I'm from..I used to see it all the time..If ya need me to go look at it hit me up I live about 15 minutes away from the car..

Hey RED nice find I looked at it about 2 weeks ago. Had to pass on it becuase we got a house instead..Its actually from where I'm from..I used to see it all the time..If ya need me to go look at it hit me up I live about 15 minutes away from the car..
Actually it looks like I'm going to get it Saturday as long as I can find a way to get it back to my house so start looking for me a transfer case :)

Gimme a call if you get a second if you've looked at the car already and tell me what you think of it.

Thanks,
John

I personally would pass and pick up a 2G somewhere, and I have a couple of reasons.

1. The really do look better.
2. As we all knows, dsm'ers sell and buy dsm's at an alarming rate. And a nice 2G is only worth 4-5k right now so selling a 1G you would take an even larger loss.

-charlie

I personally would pass and pick up a 2G somewhere, and I have a couple of reasons.

1. The really do look better.
2. As we all knows, dsm'ers sell and buy dsm's at an alarming rate. And a nice 2G is only worth 4-5k right now so selling a 1G you would take an even larger loss.

-charlie
Touche' Charlie!

1. I think the 1g's with the pop-up lights are very sexy, I've owned both a 2g talon with a 2gb talon conversion and a 2g 98 GS. I really do think they both were very attractive cars but I wouldn't mind taking a stab at a 1g, and since it's not expensive for what the car is it's definitely in my ballpark.

2. I'm not looking to sell it once I work on it, and 4-5k is definitely out of the price range I'm looking to buy a car for. I've looked at 3-4 shells (nice shells) for 400-500 bucks as well as a couple honda eg hatches (don't hate) for about 600-900 bones but I'm not looking to spend that much either.

I've now talked to the guy and gotten it down a little bit more... so I think this is a 85% chance of me getting the car. MitsuRacer CALL ME!!!!

Hey John, man it's been ages since I spoke to you last. I myself have been searching for the right DSM for years. But no luck finding the right one, just too picky I guess.

With the winter coming up I want another project, like 2 isn't enough right now. Since I sold my Yukon, I am in the process of lifting my Jeep, and doing a restore/rebuild on my 80' Turbo TA.

If you have the time, money, effort available for that car, go for it. But if not, then pass. But one heck of a deal!

Hey John, man it's been ages since I spoke to you last. I myself have been searching for the right DSM for years. But no luck finding the right one, just too picky I guess.

With the winter coming up I want another project, like 2 isn't enough right now. Since I sold my Yukon, I am in the process of lifting my Jeep, and doing a restore/rebuild on my 80' Turbo TA.

If you have the time, money, effort available for that car, go for it. But if not, then pass. But one heck of a deal!

I mean really, I don't have much spare cash to throw at this as of right now because I to myself just bought a home for me and the ole lady so money's not as loose as I wish it was but if it's a good deal that's to sweet to pass up I'm going to scrape up the cash to hop on it just even for now at least.

Yea Dude I know, way to long away from the DSM scene but it'll always have my heart, hell a week don't go by I don't watch my old "farewell to my dsm" movie... sentimental value sorry! But yea winters coming up and this one would be more of a "track only" type ride.

Thanks for the opinion tho dude!
The price just dropped for me even more... so it's getting better and better.

Thanks
-J

I mean really, I don't have much spare cash to throw at this as of right now because I to myself just bought a home for me and the ole lady so money's not as loose as I wish it was but if it's a good deal that's to sweet to pass up I'm going to scrape up the cash to hop on it just even for now at least.

Yea Dude I know, way to long away from the DSM scene but it'll always have my heart, hell a week don't go by I don't watch my old "farewell to my dsm" movie... sentimental value sorry! But yea winters coming up and this one would be more of a "track only" type ride.

Thanks for the opinion tho dude!
The price just dropped for me even more... so it's getting better and better.

Thanks
-J

I always think about them also, and find time to look at ones for sale etc...I remember when you made that video, years ago. Wow, LOL. And I always go through my imageshack to look at my old pictures from almost 4 years ago. Congrats on the house also. It's lots of fun.

Bought it for $300 bucks.
Only picture I got of it right now is....

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
Nice pick up bud! I would have done the same ;)

Ok, So I got the car and the timing has been fixed (Thanks Ludachris for all your help? ROFL ROFL ROFL). Now with that out of the way I had time to fix why the car felt as if it was running horribly wrong.

Checked timing : Check
Checked belts : Check
Checked I'm getting spark to each spark plug wire : Check
Checked for gas in it : Check

Problem was? Bad gas, 2 bad spark plugs.

Replaced and now the car's running much much better but it seems I have another issue to tackle. I need a 1g Manifold and a 14B turbo or a Evo3 setup!?!? Hit me up guys if anyone has one setup for sale cheapy cheap!!!

Also looks like the clutch is out on it or the guy that put it in didn't know what the hell he was doing cause the car as soon as I get into boost wants to just go nowhere as the rpm's rise... but I got the PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

So here we go, back into the DSM world!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back