The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

OMG WTF is wrong????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bNasty

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chantilly, Virginia
Alright so the car is a 96 TSI. THe problem is that the car wont start, here are the symptoms. Turn key car will click once as if the starter gear is engaging then nothing. The battery is almost new 12.5 volts across. I took the started out and had it tested at autozone it passed. I read 12.5 volts at the starter. I tested the starter relay and it worked. The starter is getting signal. Im completely stumped. Could it still be the starter thats bad?

When you took it off and gave it power did the piston shoot out and engage?
My last starter spun like it worked but wouldn't engage so I had to swap it out.

Thats what happened the last time my starter went to hell. But if it passed the test then I guess Im not sure? The ground and bolt were messed up on mine. It was somehow completly stripped.

Yeah take off the starter and test that. It can read that it's getting power and will pass an auto test (as mine did) but it can still be bad by it not firing out.

Ive had this problem before. Take a long wire attach it to the starter and put it on the + side of the battery.

hope that helps. If it does, just install a push button starter.;)

heres a quick sketch.

Attachments

• batt.jpg
    batt.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 38
Did you ground the starter to the firewall? I mean a wire from the bell housing to the firewall? also the power wire is hooked up to the rod that is nearest to the firewall? the other rod from the starter near the block should not be connected to anything more than a ground thing coming from the starter body itself.

Hope your problem is related to this so you can fire that beast soon. :)

when they tested the starter you could see it come out as if to engage the flywheel. I re-did all the grounds using 0 gauge wire. im sooooo losssttttt OMG haha

Where do you have it grounded to?

Make sure you're grounding it to the right bolt, i've made that mistake before :D

i have it ground to the firewall and the bell housing then i have an extra ground to the frame. i sanded the paint down so its touching bare metal.

whats the starter left rod? is that the one on the solenoid with the ground strap to it? I havent touched that just the other rod.

the same thing happened to me xmas eve. i was driving and stopped by a gas station to get something to eat. went back to the car didn't start. kick started it and worked. so i knew it was my starter. went home didnt have time to look at the starter considering it was xmas eve and drove 40 miles away to my girls house. when i got there i totally forgot i couldn't turn off the car, i was blocking the drive way. i crossed my fingers and walah it worked. just try kick starting and drive for like 10 mins around your block.

Are your battery connections nice and tight. Your problem will happen when you put a hefty load on the battery and the terminals arent'y clean/tight.

I had a bad connection where the starter relay was before.The relay tested out fine but the bad connection caused it to not start..Check it out,I just threw some di-electric grease on it and it worked fine.

yes it bolts to the bell housing with one of the starter bolts. I can hear the relay click when i turn the key. so i dont think the connection is bad.

How old is the starter? Did you meter the terminal on the + starter side to see how much voltage drop is? Could be bad cables. Did you open the starter to check the 2 contact points? They might be worn out just allowing enough voltage to pass through to turn freely but not enough to turn when there is load.

Lets see positive from battery hooked up to the terminal closes to the firewall. Switch wire that comes off the engine harness (14gauge wire I think) is connected. Ground from battery is connected to bell housing (motor securely grounded).

Damn, I think that's all you need for a starter to turn. I guess find someone with an starter and swap to see what happens.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back