The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ok so this sucks (Speedometer problem)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diablo75303

Probationary Member
Sep 21, 2019
North Platte, Nebraska
So,I discovered my speedometer wasn't working and found the VSS sensor on my transmission (95 Eclipse 420a 5 speed) was the issue .After receiving my new sensor and installing it ,it still would not work so I pulled out the sensor and found that the gear ring INSIDE the transmission popped off .:banghead:What a nightmare .Ive tried unsuccessfuly to pop the gear back on through the sensor hole with my fingers and now im guessing the whole damn transmission has to be removed just to pop a stupid gear back in.:mad:My question is do they sell this gear if it's damaged ,what fluid (and much has to be used) can be used to refill the transmission ?And also is it POSSIBLE to just separate the half where the differential is without removing the entire transmission?

You’ll have to disassemble the trans to get to the diff as it’s all the way at the bottom when taking it apart.
ah thought so.So is the gear pressed on?Where can I find another one?thanks

ah thought so.So is the gear pressed on?Where can I find another one?thanks

I think it's pressed on but not 100% since I didn't have to remove mine. Also not sure if they're available. @twicks69 should know.

On a A578 / T350 / F5MC1 the plastic ring speedometer gear on the differential is keyed in with plastic tabs, sort of a press-fit / hammer-on piece. You have to disassemble the transmission to remove the diff and do it. It is pretty easy to get access to the front differential by just draining the transmission, then removing the transmission from the car, then pulling the bellhousing and you have access to the front diff without further disassembly.

I attached a FSM for teardown of your transmission. If you need OEM parts to replace -
Part Description ---Quantity---Mopar part#------Mitsu part#
Speedo gear ------------ 1 ---- 4797316 -------- M04797316
Diff Bearing Cups ------ 2 ---- 4567022 -------- M04567022
Diff Roller bearings ---- 2 ---- 4567025AB ---- 04567025AB

Attachments

• F5MC1 Transmission Rebuild Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back