The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

OD for 130+mph car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Crisman

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2008
Blairstown, New_Jersey
I took my "recently auto swapped" 1g AWD to the dragstrip this weekend and knocked off a couple 10.6@128 runs. I had wired up the inhibitor switch to the solenoids in the Kiggly Manu-Matic method, but didn't hook up the OD switch as I ran out of time and stupidly didn't think I would need it.:ohdamn:

My engine combo is not rpm friendly, it's a 16g afterall. It likely makes better power at 5500rpm than it does at 7000rpm. I was coming through the traps at nearly 8000rpm in 3rd gear/stock converter. WAY to high.

My question is: Is the overdrive strong enough on the stock 1g automatic to hold up at the dragstrip? How much rpm drop should I see?

Im trying to judge if I should stick with the 26"x9.5x16" Hooser QTP's or go down to a 24" tire on a 15" wheel (would save a ton of weight, but hurt the gearing)

I am not a guru and hopefully one can come along and correct me if I'm wrong but the od is regarded as pretty week and not to be used when racing with moderate to high power cars. That being said you have one fast 16g car. That is seriously quick for such a modest turbo on an automatic.

You need to make sure you are running at least 26" tall tires.

Your problem is your small turbo running out of steam up top. For post, crossing the traps at 8K-9K RPM is about right..

At your power level the OD will hold however running full line pressure will push those limits.

Im currently running the 26x9.5x16" hoosier QTPs. but am trying to figure out possibly moving to 15" wheels for 2011 which opens up many different tire sizes from 24" to 28" diameter. I'm planning to stick with the low rpm/small turbo engine setup.

Nov 13th I'm going to run again with the overdrive switch hooked up, hopefully the OD holds out for a few passes. Over winter Ill put in the upgraded end clutch.

At your power level the OD will hold however running full line pressure will push those limits.

You might want to reword that, because what you wrote makes no sense.

Some aftermarket end clutches and full line pressure will hold for that power level no problem. I sell a kit with Alto Red Eagle frictions which I use in the 1g pushing 800hp. I also get the steels heat treated in a salt nitride bath which keeps them from warping, which is the problem with these KM end clutches.

Your only issue will be at around 145mp, you start shearing the splines off the transfer shaft. You just need to rev 3rd gear out higher so you aren't at peak torque when you shift into 4th.

From what I understand there is a guy on here running 10.0xx on ALL stock driveline components. Using the OD and switching it at 7500. He said he was running it that way for 3 seasons. Its on a 16g (some form) also. Its in the forums here I was reading about it the other day. Sooo not sure if that will help you out or not. Ill try to find the post.

Here ya go!

Ah never mind I see you posted in that thread already so you probably already know all that stuff. LOL sorry :(

Last edited:
Well, I ran the car on nov 13th, but was without any info on rpm/trap/gearing as I blew the motor at half track (it still went 10.67@105 with one cyl likely blown out early in the run and on the brakes at 1000ft.

Will have to wait for 2011 to see about the gearing and tire size but I'm going to upgrade the end clutch over winter just to be safe. Don't expect to see more than 135mph no matter what as it should do a 9 with less mph and the driver and car isn't legal for quicker than that anyway.

Can overdrive be used if you are using no TCU and just a road surge box?

So if one wants to trap 130+ they should get some aftermarket end clutches and use od?

Well you should probably get a aftermarket end clutch before then.. Nate is just a cheapo. The small world of small frame turbo guys like to push things to the limit. Obviously he will need to get them eventually.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back