The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

O2 housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schotty46

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2009
coal cit, Illinois
Probably sounds like a newbie question but what is the difference between a recirculated O2 housing and the dump O2? And do i have to make any other mods with the dumped O2 for my car to run right? Also, what is the difference between the wastegate being ran in the O2 housing and the ones ive seen ran in the exhaust manifold?

Atmosphere dump o2 housing means when your wastegate opens, the excess exhaust will dump literally out into the atmosphere below your vehicle in most cases. Rather than the factory setup which re-routes the exhaust back into your exhaust. Shouldn't need to do anything special to run a dumped o2 housing.

So, would it be better to buy a new manifold with the wastegate spot or to run the dumped o2 or does it not make much of a difference?

You can just replace the stock 02 for one that is dumped. No need to change anything else. Unless you have a welded shut flapper on your turbo or a different turbo all together that doesnt have a wastegate on it to begin with.

Well, im wanting to run the HX40 with an external so should i go with the wastegate on the manifold or the dumped?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ugh youre hurting my brain. Off the manifold and dumped are two completely different terms. You can run a recirculated or dumped off the manifold, as the same you can off the 02 housing. It depends on which manifold you get, therefore determining what exhaust housing you get. Either t3 or dsm BEP and if you want to run it dumped or recirculated.

As i said in youre other thread, you arent ready for an hx40 if you are asking basic questions like these.

As i said, everybody has their questions. I just dont understand how the externals work. Hince why im asking questions. So i dont #### something up. Im going to run the hx40 with the bep. Basically does it make a difference if the wastegate is off the manifold or if its off the o2. Or does it not change anything!?

Be sure to note legal issues of o2 dumping in your city to. Im a visual learner tho so heres a little show and tell.

this is a stock o2 housing vs a aftermarket o2 housing

This o2 housing is for a externall wastegate but the o2 is not considerd externally dumped becasue it is dumped back into the exhaust.

This is an externally dumped o2 housing in this case the turbo is internally gated.

This common set up is for an externall wastegate which is externally dumped

This guy here is for when the turbo is externally gated and the waste gate is commonly located on runner1 of the exhaust manifold.

It is usually externally dumped when it is on the manifold but not in all cases, the choice is yours, run wild.

Youre lucky 2geclipse565 is nice enough to do all the copying and pasting and researching for you. I wasnt about to do all that for someone who could have easily done that on google.

Yes, i do appreciate him doig that. And i understand what they look like and how to set them up. What i did nit know was if it made a diiference which one i ran. Which was my question that couldve been easily answered in thirty seconds.

By personal preference I would run the Punishment o2 housing with MVS recirculated Tial wastegate. That is what I will be running, coupled with a ceramic coated FP manifold. You also want to keep in mind that besides the legality for external dump it is also going to be very loud and may draw unwanted attention to you.

Will it be a nasty loud sound? ### i dont want to #### up the beautiful purr it has now.

Will it be a nasty loud sound? ### i dont want to #### up the beautiful purr it has now.

Couldn't tell ya. I have no experience with open dump. Check out a few youtube videos to get an idea. From what I have heard people saying, when the wastegate opens it is very loud.

Yes, i do appreciate him doig that. And i understand what they look like and how to set them up. What i did nit know was if it made a diiference which one i ran. Which was my question that couldve been easily answered in thirty seconds.

Or, 30 minutes of reading and you could have pulled all the information off of Google and had a good understanding of everything. Let me summarize it:

-Any internally gated turbo can run a recirculating or open dump o2 housing.

There are two types of externally gated turbos:
-One type has a wastegate flapper that is welded shut (you need to run external wastegate off of the manifold). These setups are predominantly open dump, as it is a PITA to recirculate them.
-The other type has no flapper at all (you need to run external wastegate off of the o2 housing). These setups are easier to recirculate.

Will it be loud? Yes, but only under boost. The wastegate only opens under boost. Also understand that loud is a relative term. I would suggest YouTube for hearing what an open dump setup sounds like. Personally I love open dump and had it on all but one of my DSMs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back