The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A No spark cylinder 4 only

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechlawrence

Probationary Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hartselle, Alabama
Hey guys, need some direction here. Driving yesterday and pulling away from a stop light and car lost power and sounded like driving a farm tractor. Get home and have no spark on cylinder four at coil pack. Swap coil pack with a known good pack and still no love. 1-3 fire as they should but #4 has zero spark and is a dead cylinder. Where do i start troubleshooting this from? Recently replaced crank sensor about a week ago and all was good for about a week. 97 420a 5 speed

The 420a coil pack is divided into 2 coils. Cylinder 1 and 4 run off one coil. Cylinders 2 and 3 run off the other coil. If all of the cylinders have spark except for #4 then I would look into the spark plug wire/connection to the plug. Swap plugs and wires around and see if that changes anything.

Is the injector firing for that cylinder?

I’ll be home in a little while and check the plug and wire for that cylinder and swap them and see if it follows. I’ve got a noid light set so i can check injector also. It was just weird when i pulled wires loose and nothing was arcing around on #4 but #1 was hitting nice and hard since they share the same coil.

Switched plug and wire with cylinder #1. Problem stayed at #4. Injector is pulsing and plug was wet. No spark for just the #4 half of that #1/#4 coil. Any suggestions?

Put a meter on the coil and compare the resistance between the pins and the terminals. See if #4 is different. I know you swapped the coil pack but it won't hurt to check. It doesn't make sense why only 1 cyl is missing spark.

Can you describe in more detail how you're testing the plug? With wasted spark systems, if there's an issue with the coil, it's kind of an all or nothing deal: you'll either get spark in both cylinders 1 and 4, or neither.

Tested the coil harness terminals to each of the 4 plug wire towers and #4 has the same readings as #1 in all combinations. I’m at a dead end on this one. What tells the computer when to fire #4? Is it the cam sensor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back