The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

new to forum, looking for reassurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baxsom

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2004
san antonoio, Texas
hi guys,
I am new to this forum and I promise I have looked for an answer to this question everywhere but I never saw a definite answer that made me feel comfortable. I purchased a 96 GS from a coworker and just wanted to get rid of it to buy something else. He did what seems to me pretty extensive modifications to it and I just wanted to see if they were pretty decent. It has the 420A motor, hahn stage 2 with FMIC. The stock pistons were replaced, ground microbalanced crank etc in the motor. greddy cat back,
upgraded suspension etc. all in all it seems like a lot of the mods that I have read about here. oh and the compression has been lowered to about 9:1 if i read the spec on the motor rebuild correctly
To be safe it is only set at 4lbs of boost. i was told that it could go higher with the profec 2
high boost to around 10 and still be ok I just havent done it yet until I get used to the car itself. Sorry this is getting long I just wanted to provide as much background on the car before I asked my question

Now on to the subject. It came with a zex wet kit still in the box never installed.
i want to install the kit mainly because its there but boost is something that I am just not sure on how to mess with. Using the 55 shot what is the theoretical maximum i should set my high boost at on the controller and still leave some conservative room with the engine that way it is now.

Again I am sorry this is a long post but I just dont want to be one of those people who jump into something with no knowledge on it.

thanks

I'm going to move this ti the turbo conversion forum so it can be better answered.

are the rods replaced? if the rods are replaced with forged ones you can boost a bitmore. i would say 15 would be pretty safe. ive heard that 10psi of boost can spike to 20 with nitrous, so keep that in mind when choosing the shot

i know that the pistons, rods, rings, bearing, valve springs, and cams were replaced because I saw the receipts and talked to the engine builders.
what happened was the hahn kit was originaly installed on a totally stock 420 motor and at 6lbs a stock piston cracked. the previous owner then had the motor built from the block up but he was then a little gunshy about turning the boost up

i dont offhand know the names of the parts but i remember adding the receipts to about 30K for all of the work so hopefully it was done correctly

well i don't know much about boost and bottle. But if i were you u would not mix them together, maybe an intercooler spray perhaps :cool: .

Now if the engine has forged internals, lets umm, how u say raise the boost :laugh:

are u still using stock injectors?even if ur block is built i wouldn't go over 7-8 lbs on stock injectors.get some bigger injectors with some way to control them(sfmu,8-injector setup-stand alone or megasquirt)and u'll be much happier.

i know they are stock injectors
i have been considering a venom fuel rail and 550cc injectors and controlling them with a apexi S-AFC II. Venom told me that I didnt need the fuel controller because my stock computer would be able to compensate for the extra fuel but I just dont believe it.
Does anyone know for sure if the stock 420 injectors can be replaced with 550's and not need a fuel computer

yes u need fuel controller..venom is full of crap,are ecu can only do so much..largest injectors you can run with the factory ECU are 550 cc/min injectors, and that's with a minimum of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator like the sfmu and an S-AFC(maybe leaned out about 30 to 35 % with the safc and it should idel fine).other than that you will need a stand alone(accel dfi,megasquirt,8-injector setup) to run more or larger injectors.

thanks for the reply
i thought venom was smoking something but i wanted to make sure
I was considering the S-AFC II anyway
so this is just a reason to go ahead and get it

is it mandatory to change out the fuel rail with new injectors or just a good idea
just wondering

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back