The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Never balance tires again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADrewzki

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I was wondering if anyone has tried the powder stuff that you put into the tire that balances the tire while you're driving it. The one I was looking at is called Equal (it's not nutrasweet though). It's supposedly a dry polymer that you put into the tire itself. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it, and if so, how well it worked out. I'd love for this to work because NY roads suck! Here's a link to the Equal. http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/

I personally have never tried it, but a buddy of mine used it on his jeep because every time he went wheeling he lost the weights on the rim. He likes it and still uses it. I know its not the same, but any input is good I guess.

I have seen a tire balancing ring which goes between the hub and wheel for trucks. Centronic or something.. Basically sliding weights in a ring.

This stuff has me like :confused:

If all that matters to you is whether or not you get vibrations from your wheels when cruising on the highway, then these self-adjusting sorts of balancers are fine.

But if dynamic wheel balance matters - i.e., if you want the wheels to be balanced when accelerating, braking, and cornering - then only a firmly balanced wheel will do.

If you are having problems with wheel weights falling off, do what many racers do: after the wheel is balanced, put something like super-sticky muffler tape over them. Not only does this keep them in place, but you can get muffler tape in a variety of colors to match the wheel's finish, for that bling bling added benefit.

- Jtoby

Originally posted by jtmcinder
If you are having problems with wheel weights falling off, do what many racers do: after the wheel is balanced, put something like super-sticky muffler tape over them. Not only does this keep them in place, but you can get muffler tape in a variety of colors to match the wheel's finish, for that bling bling added benefit.

- Jtoby

It's not the fact that the weights fall off. It's just that over time, as the tires go over potholes, curbs, etc, they eventually become unbalanced. Something like this, if it worked, would make sure your tires were balanced all the time regardless of how many potholes you hit that day.

Everything in my first two paragraphs still applies, even when what causes the wheels to loose balance is potholes, instead of the wheel weights falling off.

- Jtoby

Originally posted by jtmcinder
Everything in my first two paragraphs still applies, even when what causes the wheels to loose balance is potholes, instead of the wheel weights falling off.

- Jtoby

^^^^^
I agree, its not like your "denting" the tire, its the weights falling off, usually from smoking your tires, and wheels hop....

the last time i put shit in my tries (fix a flat) it completely screwed everything up... i know other people have had sucess with that, but after my nightmare i refuse to put anything in my tires...

i work for big o tires and ive used some powder stuff to balance tires on the front of a big rig but ive never heard or been told to use it on car wheels, just have the shop use tape weights

Well, I ended up writing the guys that make the product. They wrote back that it's not as effective for smaller passenger tires, especially low profile tires. I assume it's mainly for larger tires (i.e. off-roading, etc). I dunno. If anyone does try this, I'm definitely interested in finding out. I guess in the meantime lead weights will work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back