The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tires tires tires(retreads)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxrulez

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
Fayetteville, North_Carolina
Well, as I'm sure you can all imagine, I'm having a few 'traction' problems taking off the line

I'm looking at buying some of the retreads from retreads unlimited. The 235/55/16 is a great deal at the $43 its offered at. Other than speedometer error, is there a downside really to running the taller tire?

That would technically lower my final drive ratio, correct? While I'm sure this by itself wouldnt have a huge difference on traction, it couldnt hurt to have my gears be slightly taller.

And finally Who has ran these retreads on the street? What kinda mileage do you get on them with daily driving? I'm still debating on whether I will run these daily or strictly track use.

i'm running retreads. I had a set on a spare set of rims for my 90 Laser as well. It went 12.80@109 on a small 16G. i hope you don't plan on trying to put those 235's on a stock rim. The WIDEST you can put on a stock 1G rim is the 225/50/16's. They are gonna stick out a bit, and don't even try to corner aggressively. The sidewall will roll over quite easily (you WANT this in a drag race tire).

I probably put about 50-60 passes on these 2 tires. They then sat in my garage for a few years. I recently put them on my GSX last July. Bought another 2 and put those on as well. i havent put many miles on them since the GSX lost it's daily duties when my commute to work increased to 50 miles each way. The retreads are very quiet on the road, due to the soft compound. Most guys report about 10k miles out of daily driving usage.

i know a guy on the east coast who just got some. He says his retreads are more of a sticky DR compound than what my retreads are. The compound on my tires are very soft. So soft, you can literally push the rubber in with your fingers (similar to a slick). Can't do that on a DR. He says www.retreadsunlimited.com quit making them that way and they all come like his now. I'd call them up to verify available tire size as I believe he said the 225/50/16 isn't available anymore.

Overall, I like them. I was cutting 1.9x 60's on my FWD with them, along with AGX's in the rear, stock open diff. On my AWD, i'm in the 1.59 range launching easy.

NOSLO2PT0 said:
i'm running retreads. I had a set on a spare set of rims for my 90 Laser as well. It went 12.80@109 on a small 16G. i hope you don't plan on trying to put those 235's on a stock rim. The WIDEST you can put on a stock 1G rim is the 225/50/16's. They are gonna stick out a bit, and don't even try to corner aggressively. The sidewall will roll over quite easily (you WANT this in a drag race tire).

Nope :)

I'm picking up some 16x7's this week. My current logic is this:

At $43 a tire, even at 10-15k miles, thats not that bad of a deal! I'd obviously only run them on the front, with my current street tire on the back. I'm not too much into cornering very hard at all. All straight line pretty much :D

Your 60's are what has me really checking out these retreads. my current best is a 2.28 which resulted in my 13.5. I ran last night and was trapping a consistent 106-108mph, but just couldnt get the tires to hook up for the life of me. Ran a ton of 13.6's as a result.

Any thoughts/comments on running a taller tire?

saxrulez said:
Nope :)

Any thoughts/comments on running a taller tire?

Unfortunately, no. I don't have any experience or enough knowledge to tell you anything about that. However, I would imagine that a taller tire will shorten your final drive gear ratio, meaning you will come out of the hole even quicker. I'd just stick with similar size tires.

BTW, I've got the 225/50's on a 16x7 rim. They look pretty good. Not sure how much a 235 is gonna stick out but you can give it a shot. I had some 235/40/17's on a 17x7.5 rim and they looked nice, but i wouldn't push any cornering limits on the 235 + 16x7 combo.

theyre prices are much higher than what the website says

their 215/60/15 tire is 68, and their 16's tires are probably even more

kinda sux

yeah

#### those guys are retarded, now i called them again and they say the only 15" size they have is 225/60/15 which is like 26" tall, too tall

so WTF?? what happened to the other smaler sizes? 205/215?

I need close to stock overall diameter

and WTF hapened to the prices on the website?

Those rednecks..damn....so this is why there isnt any fast FWD dsms, we dont have any available tires, other than all out slicks, NO drag radials are sized right for our application, this aggrevates me :mad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back