1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

need some help

Posted by ForsakenLash, Apr 10, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. ForsakenLash

ForsakenLash Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I know I posted this in the other guys thread, but I figured maybe its either A getting over looked cause its in his thread or B this section is just kinda dead.... so here it goes!!

I need someone who can help me get my car timed. Im getting a P1390 code and I have no tools or know how on timing. I know the belt is good, Im pretty sure the previous owner replaced it and the water pump but just didnt put the belt on right.

Heres the snag in me needing to get this done, right now I work Saturday-Tuesday and I work afternoons into the morning. So my free days are Wed-Fri. However soon I will be moving to mornings on the weekends and will hav Sat and Sunday afternoons.

Also my finances are kind of tight. I can afford to pay, just not a whole lot, hence why its not already at a mechanic shop right now.

If you can help me just let me know how much your wanting and when a good time is and Ill try and work it into my budget. Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. ForsakenLash

Joined Mar 15, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    38 views and no replies LOL... is it a big PITA?? If so can someone explain to me the steps to do it right the first time?

3. Vladam1re990

Vladam1re990 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    Gainesville, Florida
    I don't believe it's too bad to set timing on these, I haven't had to tear into mine yet, but I'll print any info I can find at work and I'll text it to ya (working for an auto parts store has its perks haha :) I'd come up there and help ya out, but woman is still looking for a job and money's a little tight ATM. But if I'm remembering correctly, cams and crank get set at TDC.

Vladam1re990

249  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. ForsakenLash

Joined Mar 15, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    yea I know the pulleys have grooves in there to line up, but the bottom pulley is what Im unsure of, also how to get to the entire assembly its self. Plus my tools are very limited so I dont wanna start it and not be able to finish it LOL.

5. Vladam1re990

Vladam1re990 Probationary Member

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    Gainesville, Florida
    I've taken a look at mine and it seems simple enough. But you're gonna have to rip down the accessories to get to the timing cover, and then yank it to do a timing job. It shouldn't be more than basic hand tools. If you've got yourself a ratchet and a good amount of metric and SAE you'll be just fine! ;)

Vladam1re990

249  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. miliman13

miliman13 Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2011
    tampa, Florida
    you need 2X 17mm wrenches . 1 1/2'' ratchet or breaker bar. Thas't is.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...374-idle-surge-ignition-timing-nightmare.html

that's to set mechanical timing "base timing"

basically piston # 1 to the highest point "TDC" top dead center.
    both cam gears 180 degrees across like in the pic "tick marks face in even"
    Crank wheel set at 5 degrees BEFORE "TDC". .. that is how you set base timing.

invest in some tools and time to research. or else, you'll invest alot more into a person who may or may not already know this, but they will take you for as much as they can "mechanic".. good luck.

2K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

13.066 @ 106.880 · 2G DSM
  7. ForsakenLash

Joined Mar 15, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    thanks man, Im fairly mechanically inclined, just most of my tools have been stolen, and timing is something Ive never done. But this should help a lot!!

8. miliman13

miliman13 Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2011
    tampa, Florida
    no problem ! :thumb:

2K  0

manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

13.066 @ 106.880 · 2G DSM