The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Need Help Wont Start!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcalrallyist

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2003
CaliforniaUS
I just completed swapping my 90 gst engine into a 90 tsi. I have no spark. The coil pack is new ive double checked all of the harness connectors ive swapped out the IGN and MPI fuses. I connected a spark plug to the number one wire and grounded it on the valve cover and saw aboslutely nothing. I have tried 2 ecus that I know work. I need some serious advise because I have run out of idas... The GST worked find and as far as iknow the TSI was running but the engine was swapped out to another car.

Here are a few things you can try, but does the car even crank over if so is it stong or weak.

1. you might want to make sure you got spark from the coil.

2. if you have spark from the coil then move on to the distributor make sure you have spark there. (each plug)

3. also check all fuse and relay relating to the ign. set up

If you find a problem while going through these steps hopefully I was helpful to you. I had a prblem like this and end up having to get a new distributor for the car and put a new coil in it and got great spark. Come to find out the motor that I put in has no compression at all, so I got did for a blown motor. :thumb: :dsm:

98GSX209 said:

2. if you have spark from the coil then move on to the distributor make sure you have spark there. (each plug)
If you find a problem while going through these steps hopefully I was helpful to you. I had a prblem like this and end up having to get a new distributor for the car and put a new coil in it and got great spark. Come to find out the motor that I put in has no compression at all, so I got did for a blown motor. :thumb: :dsm:

Ahem, this is not 1.8L SOHC and has _no_ distributor. It is a twin cam DOHC turbo.

You said you _think_ it ran before... do a compression check, check the valve timing. Do you have any codes?

Do check the CAS (Cam Angle Sensor), if the wires are the same color swap with the other engine. Does it have an alarm system?

Cheers,
GTM

Well the engine ran without a doubt it came out of my GST which was running fine. The last owner of the TSI says it ran fine but he took the engine out and sold it to me with no engine. So all of the sensors and the coil and the power trasnsister etc are working. Anyone know of a good page to diagnose the harness like with a multimeter? The chiltons manual sure isnt going to help much.

Norcalrallyist said:
Anyone know of a good page to diagnose the harness like with a multimeter? The chiltons manual sure isnt going to help much.

There may be info on vfaq.com if you haven't looked. I suspect Haynes might and the factory manual will have test procedures for your electrical components which could cause this.

I would still like to see a compression check unless you are good at seat of pants diagnosis.

The oil pressure sensor could play a factor for it would prevent the car from running if it thinks there is no oil. However it should try in crank mode as you should also have spark, fuel pressure, and injectors. A lot of things can be checked with a test light much faster than a multi meter including fuses.

Cheers,
GTM

Laser4G63 said:
Try grounding the spark plug on the intake manifold instead of the valve cover. The paint on the valve cover MAY have an effect on that.
Also, my car wouldn't start one time because the wire harness to the engine temp sensor (not the one for the A/C) were severed. Take a look at those because they become brittle over time and break.

Actually the paint wouldn't have any effect, it is harder to get it tilted or trapped on the valve cover but they will arc through a light bulb glass so the paint won't slow it down.

Yes it could be temp sensor, there are several other things which could have failed from sitting. And it might be worth contacting the seller to see if MAYBE he swapped out some part that was bad and _forgot_ to mention it. He was trying to make a sale and if he mentioned one thing it might have caused you to think he had used it as a parts car for him or his friends. He might come clean now if that was the case.

There were some series breaks on some parts so I would make sure you have the correct parts when testing.

Cheers,
GTM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back