The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Need Help with Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner35r

Probationary Member
Mar 16, 2009
Galt, California
Ok so ima buy a 1992 eagle talon tsi awd 5speed, ported 14b, fmic, hacked can with k&n, turbo back catted apex-i exhaust, ported 2g exhaust manifold, and abs/cruise/power steering removed.
I dont know wut to start with first.
Im joining the Army so i need to get things done pretty quick and am limited on money LOL.
Im thinking a bigger turbo maybe a Gt35r? but wut would i need to get so i can run it safely at 25psi? any info would help please.

Fuel and logger is what I would recommend before throwing a new turbo on. The 14b is usually an underrated turbo. That's me personally trying a "safer" route. Other advise is always welcome.

d

Your going to need a bigger fuel Pump Walbro 255lph and a Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR)

Bigger injectors 750cc-850cc or even bigger.

Get the timing belt done new water pump and all new gaskets. New head gasket with ARP head studs would be a good choice.

Since your going to have bigger than 650cc injectors you will need something to tune the fuel with DSMlink or what not. ( that requires eprom ECU if you have questions use the search button up top and type in whats an eprom)

But I dont see why you dont get yourself a smaller turbo MHI evo 16g (not ebay crap)

oh yeah use this: Tech Guide: 1G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners

-Remove your cat and straight pipe it (if not in emission controlled area)
-Manual boost controller
-2g maf and intake
-cheap datalogger is found on ebay, quality and worthwhile one is called dsmlink (search in the parts section)
-like PIMking said bigger injectors and better flowing fuel pump
-Get an EVOIII 16g turbo, its cheaper than the gt35r and has ALOT of HP potential
-To run 25psi you would need some different internals, not sure which, I still have to do the same in mine you should search it up
-Front mount Intercooler
-Gauges are a must if you upgrade anything especially for running a MBC
-Check to make sure that when you put your foot to the floor it does the same on your TB (full WOT)
-Metal intercooler piping with T-bolt on silicone connectors

Just search DSMtuners.com you'll find out whats good for the price!

-Remove your cat and straight pipe it (if not in emission controlled area)
-Manual boost controller
-2g maf and intake
-cheap datalogger is found on ebay, quality and worthwhile one is called dsmlink (search in the parts section)
-like PIMking said bigger injectors and better flowing fuel pump
-Get an EVOIII 16g turbo, its cheaper than the gt35r and has ALOT of HP potential
-To run 25psi you would need some different internals, not sure which, I still have to do the same in mine you should search it up
-Front mount Intercooler
-Gauges are a must if you upgrade anything especially for running a MBC
-Check to make sure that when you put your foot to the floor it does the same on your TB (full WOT)
-Metal intercooler piping with T-bolt on silicone connectors

Just search DSMtuners.com you'll find out whats good for the price!

Link is not just a logger. It's a complete tuning solution, including data logging. You either need that, or both a data logger and something else to actually tune with, such as an EPROM emulator or burner. I pretty much always recommend EPROM tuning; if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, just get a chip from keydiver (dsmchips).

Running '25psi' does not mean you need a built engine. Stock these engines can handle a lot. Boost pressure by itself means absolutely nothing without figuring in the whole setup.

i was thinking of maybe waiting till after basic training and AIT to just buy a Race built engine?
a 2.3stroker? wut would be a good turbo for that?

You will need a built tranny to hold the torque of a stroker. If I was going with more displacement, I would just go with a 2.4 instead of a 2.3 stroker.

The main point of upping your displacement is to spool a bigger turbo at a lower rpm; if you can live with a higher rpm engine, just keep the 2.0. If you want 400-450awhp, leave the stock engine alone.

What turbo to get, as well as other mods, depends a lot on your hp/et goals.

Start searching and reading on here, and you will find more answers than you need to any question you have. The "I wanna mod, where do I start" type of question never receives the best answers, since modding right requires research to pick what is right for you.

If you want to start modding, going from nothing to all out is not the right way to go. It will be a lot harder for you to learn to tune if you do what you are planning on doing. Get something to tune your current setup with and max out what you have before moving up to a bigger turbo, stroker, etc. Even the little 14B feels a heck of a lot better at 20psi than it does at 15. It shouldn't be hard to get at least 1.5 times stock power before pulling off the 14B for something bigger.

Plus, you will break other parts having a lot of power. So be prepared to tear stuff up -- mostly with the transmission and clutch.

oh, i see.
so wait till i get like DSMLink or something and a bunch of other electronics before trying to mod?
i was just gonna do wut other people said really. just get a EvoIII 16g and definitely get an intercooler kit along with 2g MAF and intake, bigger injectors a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, AFPR, probably 650cc injectors for now. i just wanna make atleast 300whp.
im new to DSM's so im not sure. But my friend said something bout a 90* elbow or something? Swap with a 2g not sure wut he means

You should be able to get 300 or close to it on a 14B with cams & other supporting mods with a decent tune. You said in your first post that you have a FMIC already, I'm confused now.

Get something decent to tune with and just get bigger injectors right away -- 750's or 850's don't really cost much, if any, more than 650's do, unless you somehow find an extra great deal. A burn1/burn2 chip burner is only $85, or an Ostrich EPROM Emulator is $175. Go check out Moates.net for those items. If you want to go with a chip & burner instead of the emulator, you can get the 'chip extender' and a cable to mount the chip outside the ECU for easy chip swapping (I have this setup on two cars that I tune). There is also a lot of good information at dsm-ecu : DSM-ECU about EPROM tuning. The program to use for EPROM tuning is called Tunerpro, or Tunerpro RT for the emulator. RT stands for Real Time, meaning you can tune the car while it's running! If you ever want to get rid of your airflow sensor, you can go speed density (using a MAP sensor, manifold absolute pressure) with DS-Map.

I think that EPROM tuning is the clear way to go on a 1g, since there is so much information available for modding the ECU to do almost anything you want.

As for the elbow you mentioned, they were probably referring to a throttle-body elbow. The 2G intercooler piping is bigger than a 1G's, so the TB elbow is bigger to mate up to it. Most FMIC kits come with a different TB elbow though, so it's probably not something you will have to deal with. I really like my SSAC-style FMIC setup. It barely even gets warm half way across the core on a hot summer day, even boosting mid to upper 20's on my 16G. Great buy for $280 bucks shipped.

ya, i got a FMIC haha. sorry bout that i was pretty drunk, i thought i was talking bout something else LOL.
but, right now im kind of a bind. I need to replace my whole suspension. My back shocks blew out and my fronts are on the way, ima get ground control, and maybe coil overs? unless it would be something better? like Gas Shocks maybe? idk tho. Advice would be really good.

I need to replace my whole suspension. My back shocks blew out and my fronts are on the way, ima get ground control, and maybe coil overs? unless it would be something better? like Gas Shocks maybe? idk tho. Advice would be really good.

I like my Tein adjustable coilovers, although the stiffest setting still isn't very stiff. Adjustable height is awesome, I adjusted my car up like an inch in the front for the winter. I'll probably need to keep it higher now, since the winter put a heave at the end of my driveway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back