The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Need Clutch Install Shop-San Antonio

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewoevo

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
All,

The clutch just went out on my car this morning so I need a good shop to change it,a s well as a new clutch. Can any of you please give me suggestions ASAP. I live in Converse, on the NE side of San Antonio.

Thanks!

To follow up with my symptoms:

I noticed my clutch was soft for the past several days, very easy to engage.

This morning when I left for work, there was a weird buzzing noise coming from the engine bay that would go away when I pushed the pedal

On my way to work, when I pushed the pedal, there was a very hard vibration or clunking feel. When I desengaged the pedal, it went away.

It was hard to change gears, but it would go into gear with some force, but the clutch still seemed to work.

Sounds like your flywheel,

could either be loose by a broken stud/bolt or just not torqued down enough.

Why not try to do the job yourself? its ALOT easier than people think just takes a weekend and patience...
and a spot for bench pressing that tranny ROFL but seriously you can accomplish it with a jack

I very well may do it myself. I changed one on my EVO, butit was a pain in the @$$. However, since I've already done one, it should be easier. Also, I have the base hobby shop to do the work in, lift and all. If anyone wants to help, let me know. From what I've gathered, it looks to be the throw-out bearing. Either way, a new clutch will be installed.

Does anybody have one for sale locally?

I would say that sounds more like an issue with your TOB or pressure plate. Either way the transmission has to come off. When was the last time either was changed?

The transmission was rebuilt 40K miles ago, according to repair records (before I owned the car). I agree it is probably an issue related to the TOB. Yesterday afteroon I started the car. The vibration and bad noise were still present. However now, the pedal stays on teh floor. I popped the hood and could see the slave cylinder rod vibrating back and forth (not in and out). I looked likt the fork was not even touching the rod (couldn't see it at all from my angle), leading me to believe its a problem with the TOB. Now when the tranny was rebuilt, I don't know if the clutch assembly was changed. The repair records don't say. I can't imagine why you wouldn't go ahead and do it though. Anyway, I took it to a shop to diagnose the problem. I plan on doing the actual repair myself this weekend. Thanks guys.

What has been my experience is usually when the tob goes it can take out the fork if you continue driving it. Same goes for the fork, it will usually grenade the tob. If I'm picturing your issue correctly, it sounds like the fork snapped. Time for a new fork, tob, clip and fulcrum ball. Should be a cheap fix if it didn't take out the fingers on the pressure plate. Good luck:thumb:

Nevermind, I just read your previous post that you are planning to change the clutch anyway. What clutch are you installing? I'd love to help but I live in Elgin and currently my car is down.

Well I figure if I'm going to tear it all apart, I may as well put in an aftermarket clutch. I haven't decided on which clutch, but I've used the ACT 2600 before and liked it, so I'll probably go with it. I'm also looking at centerforce and clutchmaster clutches.

Clutch & slave cylinder are bad. I need a clutch kit asap. Is there anyone local who has one? I will consider slightly used as I need it by this Thursday!

That's cool. Well, I won't be doing the clutch install now. I found a shop right in my back yard that will do it for $250 plus the cost of the clutch. The shop is called Scorpion Auto Designs. They work primarily on hondas, but do work on DSMs as well.

Don't do it!!!!! Jeremy is one of my friends but, He has no skill when it comes to the 4g63. I got your # from your PM, I'll give you a call.

Give me a call this afternoon. I'll PM you my work #.

My clutch job ended up being a 2-3 half day job. It was worth the time for me to know the job was done right and saved a few hundred bucks. I'm sure you can get some help from some locals...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back