The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

My car is stupid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittay

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2007
Boise, Idaho
After posting the blown my motor- funneh.. I think I jynxed myself.

I started my car this morning and it was surging so bad, the wideband just read 16, -AIR, 16, -AIR.. Heater was still blowing freezing cold air.
Well even though my car was good for -30 and it only got down to 8 or so last night.. my lower radiator hose was solid and upper was halfway frozen.

It had no issues yesterday.. Today, I was trying to get it to warm up before I went to run errands, and it was idling normal for the first 5 mins, then surged, so I freaked out and popped the hood.

Didn't think this would happen. Every car we have was ok, except my car and the truck started to freeze up. But both my car and the truck used a different anti-freeze and both said it was good to -30 a few days ago.

Unfortunetly, the roommate has the garage, so I can't park in there until he leaves. It has been in the garage warming up with a heater going for the last 4 hours.

There has only been a halfdollar sized puddle under the car so far.

So I just started it up.. Car warmed up and heater was warm, but the radiator stayed cold. I didn't see the radiator fluid moving in the upper hose.
There was white smoke pillowing out the exhaust, along with fluid splatting out. It was also pretty cold since I could see my breath, but after shutting the garage door, it smelled like radiator fluid and exhaust combined :(

I pulled the oil dipstick, near the bottom, it looks fine. But at the top, near the handle, it has a light yellow foam..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry to hear that Tami. I am always worried about my car's coolant freezing during the winter.

I would let it thaw out and give it a compression test to see if anything happened to the HG.
Does the oil on the bottom of the stick look like chocolate milk?
Have you checked your overflow container for oil?

Either way, if your coolant is freezing; you need to let it thaw completely then flush the system and throw in a new mixture.

Most of the time, I don't mind living in Idaho. But the past week with it being so freaking cold, I'm starting to rethink this whole Idaho idea....

Hope to see that everything turns out alright. Wtf is your car doing outside and your roomates inside? Time to put someone in their place!

Lol.. hey, good hearing from you!!
He was there before me, and was part of his original agreement when he moved in. But he's gone end of the month. So yay!
So how's your car doing? Making it up to Firebird this season?

It sat in the garage all day yesterday and no new puddles. The oil on the dipstick did not increase any, so looks good. Took it for a spin last night and still was smoking and started heating up.

So it looks like worst case right now is a possible blown HG.

Josh-
Looks like your car will be fun. If I get my project going, we'll have to line up again and race the new setups!! Is your VC just gloss black or is like mine? Didn't Goblin do it for you? Cause I think we got pretty much the same color, but I didn't do polished letters..

But I'm hopefully getting the black cherry going for this coming season. It'll be nice having a backup car. I really want to see 11s on the DD thought still.

Damn, got to get used to the time difference LOL, was about to ask if you figured out what happened yet but I see you just posted the last message not what, 10 mins ago? LOL It's 10:40 pm here, Germany rules :p! Well, hope everything goes okay for you, maybe things will work out and it'll just be a headgasket that you can replace n everything be okay, let us know what happened when you figure it all out n good luck!

So far it's looking good. There's no signs of extra fluid in the oil, or any leaks. I haven't driven it since the other night, I hardly ever drive anywhere.. LOL.

But I did get goodies in the mail today!

OMG it's on the beach.. LOL (my painting)

All together:

So everything turned out to be okay? No more fluids anywhere, no leaks and nothing in the overflow or oil? That's good news, glad to hear that everything is good! And the parts look great always good to get stuff in the mail to get the mood up!

haha you guys know nothing IM IN VERMONT And ITS COLD HERE LOL but I Hope all goes well for you and its a simple fix and back on the road in no time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back