1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Multiple bad lifters

Posted by bcjjones, Nov 20, 2013

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    What would cause mulitple lifters to fail at the same time?

I removed the valve cover, a few rockers have a slight amount of play. I know that would first lead you to believe that the valves are bent but timing is spot on.

While looking at the valves that have play in the rockers, I can tell that the lifter on the valve right next to it (i.e the two intake or exhaust valves), on the same cylinder, isn't "up" as much as the one with no play.

Also it still runs like a champ, no loss in power or idle problems at all. Fires right up. I know the rings are half way fried so that coupled with bent valves would surely result in driveability issues. And its only on a few random rockers that have play.

So basically with the lifters not being "up" as much as the other one would that lead yal to believe the lifters aren't workong correctly?

2. oddrob

oddrob Proven Member

Joined Oct 29, 2003
    Arnold, Maryland
    When they are just sitting static, oil pressure is gone and it will show if some lifters may be weak. Under load, oil pressure will take up some slack, but too much play can cause catastrophic results. You don't mention age or mileage. It is a wear item and will need to be replaced in time. It is an easy and not too costly fix.

257  1

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4