The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Multiple bad lifters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
What would cause mulitple lifters to fail at the same time?

I removed the valve cover, a few rockers have a slight amount of play. I know that would first lead you to believe that the valves are bent but timing is spot on.

While looking at the valves that have play in the rockers, I can tell that the lifter on the valve right next to it (i.e the two intake or exhaust valves), on the same cylinder, isn't "up" as much as the one with no play.

Also it still runs like a champ, no loss in power or idle problems at all. Fires right up. I know the rings are half way fried so that coupled with bent valves would surely result in driveability issues. And its only on a few random rockers that have play.

So basically with the lifters not being "up" as much as the other one would that lead yal to believe the lifters aren't workong correctly?

When they are just sitting static, oil pressure is gone and it will show if some lifters may be weak. Under load, oil pressure will take up some slack, but too much play can cause catastrophic results. You don't mention age or mileage. It is a wear item and will need to be replaced in time. It is an easy and not too costly fix.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back