The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Modification laws in PA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwahl16

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2009
Havertown, Pennsylvania
Hey, i was just wondering if you guys new any pesky laws for driving modded cars in PA.

For example: Driving without catalytic converter. What is the penalty for this in PA?

I read we can only have 70% tint as well.

Are there any other mod laws i should know about? Just in case i ever get pulled over, i don't want to get a ticket for having a boost gauge or something dumb. I certainly hope we aren't as strict as California!

No real laws against modification.

We do have emissions here if you drive your car more than 5,000 miles a year, so you'll get dinged for that. If you drive less than 5,000 miles a year you can ask for an emissions exempt sticker (what I have). Being a '95 you really have to worry about the visual since they don't hook the car up to the OBDII machine.

Yes, we do have a 70% law, however my car has darker tint than that (not sure what it is - came with it and never had a light meter on it), but I've never been pulled over. Again, I don't drive my car that much and usually when I do it's in nice weather and the front windows are down, which are the ones that matter more.

Other than that, no one really cares as far as I know.

ok thats good to know, i plan on getting one of those exemption stickers for next year as i'll be at psu most of the year, and won't be able to drive. So for emissions, they don't do tail pipe check for a cat, they just visually check that it's there?

Thanks,
James

Most inspection stations look for the "obvious" emissions equipment ie: EGR, Cat Converter, solenoids etc....Yes they check for cat. converters...visually...no tailpipe check, thank god this isn't smog nazi capital of the world California LOL

My car still has the cat...for now.....no egr, no solenoids, 2.5% tint...(can't see in or out for that matter....) You just have to know people and push a few more bucks into their pocket to let it pass.....

My guy simply ask

"Does it have any leaks" No
"It have a functional exhaust" Yes (meaning not dumped out the side or whatever...)
"Is it drivable" Yes
"Is it legal" Yes

He'll put it up on the rack and check for wear and tear items....ball joints brakes etc...

Drop it down pay him and a little extra and I leave...Simple as that...

Last edited:
Ok, i have a buddy actually doing my inspection, so I think i should be all set without a cat. If not, i'll just throw it back on when the time comes. Thanks fellow pennsylvanians.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back