The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mishimoto Fanshroud Disappointments

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased 3 Mishimoto Fanshroud's and 2 out of 3 have been disappointments on many levels. Although from first sight the product looks to be of amazing quality and the ease of installation from beginner mechanic to ASE certified and beyond. To the variety of ways it can be wired up to you vehicle. Its shortfalls are its; durability, lifespan, Mishimoto warranty, and the price. I say the price because for around the same price of just the fanshroud any DSMer can go on Ebay... yes Ebay and buy an aluminum radiator and fanshroud combination likely with silicone hoses with the same "warranty" plus shipping.

When I first had the fans kick out they were loud, and my thought was "Okay they pull a lot of air". But this soon became an annoyance. On my third fanshroud from Mishimoto the aggressively loud fans after only a few miles after installation sounded like they were rubbing against themselves. Almost as if the fans were already warping from heat or something. It is hard to explain. I'll inspect the fans in more depth later.

There isn't much I can say about the Mishimoto warranty except that from my personal experience from my first fanshroud and trying to "claim" the no questions ask warranty from Mishimoto... that they cannot back it. Back and forth emails from them only lead me to the conclusion that Mishimoto will do anything to get out of their own warranty commitment. This is the biggest disappointment of all. I was a big Mishimoto fan, especially since I know for a fact that they do make good products, just not products they stand behind. But in all fairness maybe it was just that representative.

The first fanshroud I speak of as far as lifespan goes crapped out in about a year's time. Nothing more can be said except, either user error or manufacturer defects. You could also say "Off-road use only"

To summarize I'll say clearly. Mishimoto is a okay company. They make okay products, especially their radiators. I mean hell one radiator had to roll around without a fan for I dunno how long and it held normal operating temps like a champ. (Not recommended). But clearly from my own personal experience I know that their warranty is BS. In all fairness again it may have just been the representative I was dealing with but for someone who is suppose to represent a department that big for a company who's name is on the line, maybe you should pick a brighter apple. The Mishimoto Fanshroud for me gets a Thumbs Down

Buy Godspeed and if you cant afford that, go Ebay.

Leonthefaded,

Thanks for the post. Can you please contact me at [email protected] letting me know what is going on? You should not have had to buy 3 separate fans shroud kits for any reason. If there is a problem with the fans, we would be happy to replace them under our warranty.

If you did contact us recently, you may have been put on back order as our 12" fans actually just came back into stock late last week.

Thanks,
Pat

"Pat" as in Patrick Muschamp please look in your email inbox from an email from [email protected] date Apr 24th 2013 That was the last email I sent you. And please have your responses not in my parts feedback and review article and leave them for the unreturned warranty claim form through the Mishimoto website. I don't support business tactics that respond to parts reviews with "support" when it is obvious it is too late.

Leon,

As always, I appreciate your feedback. Warranty eligibility has nothing to do with us posting on the forums. We monitor forums to pro-actively reach out to customers who have product questions, fitment questions, and warranty issues. As I am sure many can vouch for us, our warranty policies are second to none.

Your initial claim form sent on 4/23 stated that both electrical fans died. Usually, two completely separate motors would not suddenly stop working, unless there was a switch or wiring/relay issue. This prompted us to ask if you had jumped the fan switch to confirm that both fans are not turning on when supplied power.

You replied to my request confirming that you were not aware of how to do this. Since these fans are universal products, we suggested to check out a how to guide. For example, here is one below:

2G Fan Relay Bypass: How To - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

(mods. feel free to edit the link out if posting a non-dsmtuners.com link is against the rules)

Your final Email to us on Wednesday, 4/24, stated for us to ignore the claim you made. It did not seem as if you were willing to conduct a test in order to confirm that the fans are bad. Unlike many other companies who require you to send items back, we do not ask you send to back the claimed units mainly to reduce downtime for our customers. We were in process of going through steps to help you get the vehicle back on the road as quickly as possible. If the issue did turn out to be our fans, we would be happy to replace them. As stated before, we are here to help and we would be happy to get everything resolved for you.

Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty
Customer satisfaction has been the foundation of the Mishimoto philosophy since its inception. Mishimoto is a name customers can trust to provide a lifetime of performance satisfaction with every aluminum radiator and cooling component. To back this promise, Mishimoto extends a "no questions asked" limited lifetime warranty that covers every product in the Mishimoto catalog. Mishimoto will gladly replace an original product should customers experience a defect or issue. To avoid any unnecessary issues, Mishimoto encourages customers to have professionals handle product installation. Any concerns relating to installation or compatibility should be addressed before installing any product. The Mishimoto lifetime warranty policy also provides for accident protection for Mishimoto components damaged during an accident. Accident protection warranties will be honored for customers who submit a warranty claim with pictures of the accident and an official police report within three months of the incident.

That is taken directly from your website. I feel as though I shouldn't have had to have sent multiple email back and forth with you, and built the frustration I had built. Or jump through the hoops I jumped through to have a warranty fulfilled. When I told my local friend and Vendor how Mishimoto handled this warranty and said it was a bad move to tell a customer to consult an internet forums for advice. Instead own up to the warranty claim or just deny it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back