The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Misfire while going uphill

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdxnc

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2009
Stanstead, Vermont
For the last couple weeks I've been having a weird issue with my GST, it runs perfectly smooth, pulls hard, starts great, basically ZERO issues for normal driving and even while pushing it. The problem is when I start going up a decent size hill, car will be pulling fine, then all of a sudden it's like it looses all spark for about 1 second, then it will buck back into life and continue on like normal.

On a flat road, there is no problem at all. I've changed my spark plugs/regapped them, checked all electrical connections on the top of the motor(injectors,coil packs, sensors) and the problem persists. It usually only does it once as well during the climb of a hill. It will do it during normal driving at basically 0 psi, and it also does it at 18 psi, it's very random when it does it, but always while going uphill but it doesn't do it on every hill. I would guestimate that it does it about once every 30 minutes of driving.

I can't think of anything else to check or what I should change first.

Can is 97 GST with a 14b turbo, 1G bov, stock injectors, PR fmic.

Check The compression. You could have a Cylinder that is right on the edge of having too low of compression and when you put a big load on the motor like trying to pull that 2800lbs car up a hill, it knocks it out or something???

you could have a fualty fuel pump or something or your just some how getting air in the system due to the change in the direction of gravety???

Idk, im taking wild guess's but am doing my best to help, I've never heard of such a problem before.

What about the plug wires? Usually when it does it going uphill it's because you are putting a load on the motor and if you have a weak spot on your wires it will arc and cause the misfire. That's my first guess and the first thing i'd check.

I put new wires last summer, but I guess I could try new ones again. On a nice flat road I can pull hard to the red line with no issue. Yet just barely on the throttle up a hill and it will misfire once and then not do it again for a while. Does it whether I have a 1/4 tank of gas or a full tank. To me it would seem to be fuel related if direction can change it.

Try going WOT uphill in 4th or 5th gear at a relatively low speed, maybe 40mph or so. That's when it should happen.

i definately agree i think its the plug wires at idle take a spray bottle with water and mist water on the wires this trick has worked for me several times

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back