The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Megan Racing EZ Series good for DD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
At the moment I ride my car with KYB Excel-Gs and H&R lowering springs. 2 of my shocks are blown and the strut bearings aren't good anymore so I'm looking for a good set of cheap coilovers that lasts longer than two years. I don't wanna hit the track and race my car, I just need a set for daily driving and car meetings. Since we have a lot of bad streets and snowy winters here it would be great if I could adjust the ride high.

I cast a glace on the Megan Racing EZ Series and I think this set would be good for me. Now I need you to tell me if the Megans are a good deal or just garbage. Pls don't come with "one of my friends friend told me blabla". I want real opinions from guys who drove them for longer than 2 weeks :thumb:

Nobody answered your question because it has been beaten to death and easily accessible by using the search function and Google. Not to mention your semi-smart ass remark in the last part of your reply. However, I'm not nice so check these out:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/405130-megan-ez-street-coilover-setup.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/394191-megan-racing-ez-streets-gc-koni-yellows.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/412816-new-coilover-question.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/416132-best-street-springs-shocks.html

To sum everything up the suspension gurus will tell you their crap, but most users from what I've read both on this forum and others have generally positive things to say about them.

Not a single user on this community claims he truely tested the Megan EZs and found the coilovers are bad. The gurus keep telling the Megans are cheap so they are junk. Where are the dynos or the numbers that prove they are right? Sure, the EZ Series is not comparable with KW V3 or 16k$ racing coils, but I couldn't find any information about how the EZs failed in daily driving. That's why I started that thread.

There are a lot of posts and threads where people talk about installation and driving right after installation (it's obvious a car with new cheap coilovers will handle better than with 100k miles old stock ones), but there are only a few posts (no reviews, neither good nor bad) of users who had them for a year or longer. Did everybody die in a horrible crash caused by the cheap coils?

There is no reason why the Megan EZ's wouldnt be good for some track days. I think the better question is how much are you willing to spend on a coilover setup.

Well I've read about people talking about a great coilover setup running like 2k, but I've only seen tein coilovers running that much. I'm not wanting to get into competive racing, just the occasional track day. I'm running bike track days right now, and hopefully within the next couple years, I can earn an MCRA license or a CCS license.

Buy the Megan EZ's and be done with it. I would

???? :confused: dynos for coilover results???

Yes, you can put a shock on a shock dyno. I'd be interested in putting some of these coilover setups on a shock dyno actually and seeing how they compare to a set of Konis or KW's. This way we had some hard data to reference to back up the "general coilovers suck" statement.

I would buy the megan ezs, but I have better investments I can consider for my project and build. Other bolt ons and maintenance parts I can get ahead of time.

FYI IMO my stock suspension has proved to be the "Best" ride I've ever experianced in these cars. I've ridden on tein basics, cut springs, and have driven another friends car on ksports.

I run the Megan EZ's on my DD. I think they provide an awesome bang for the buck.

I run the Megan EZ's on my DD. I think they provide an awesome bang for the buck.

How much did you pay and where did you get them from? Also what are the road conditions like where you live?

I'm so serious. I love this stock suspension setup, it makes me wonder WTF I've been doing all this time... speedbumps... who gives a crap about those anymore LOL

I run the Ksport-Pro's for the 2g. These cheap Chinese made coilovers are junk.
The K-sport springs look like they were dipped in a corrosive acid they are that badly corroded after 20,000 miles. The 120,000 mile stock springs look brand new compared to these piles.

I have had 2 struts blow out completely as well. Even when they were new, these coilovers would cause the car to hop sideways over small bumps mid-corner. The suspension would also tend to bottom out hard in moderate high speed bumps.

I am stepping into a set of Koni's with either the H&R sport springs or the Ground control coilover kit. I'll see if I can use the pillow ball mount "hats" off the K-sports so I can piece together a better "coilover".

I run the Ksport-Pro's for the 2g. These cheap Chinese made coilovers are junk.
The K-sport springs look like they were dipped in a corrosive acid they are that badly corroded after 20,000 miles. The 120,000 mile stock springs look brand new compared to these piles.

I have had 2 struts blow out completely as well. Even when they were new, these coilovers would cause the car to hop sideways over small bumps mid-corner. The suspension would also tend to bottom out hard in moderate high speed bumps.

I am stepping into a set of Koni's with either the H&R sport springs or the Ground control coilover kit. I'll see if I can use the pillow ball mount "hats" off the K-sports so I can piece together a better "coilover".

Going over speedbumps at a moderate highspeed isn't smartg with any coilover imo. And what the hell kind of driving are you doing to hop sideways?

No, the K-Sports suck all kinds of crap. I have a set on my new 2G AWD (came with the car) and their rebound is non-existent. You bounce like a pinball and it makes highway driving a painful chore. I would hit a bump at about 70-75 in the road and would bounce off the headliner.

Cheap coilovers suck. I'd rather have stock ride springs with some Koni's height than run ghetto cheap coilovers ever again.

There's a massive, massive difference between a cheap set of coilovers and JICs.

Having done multiple track days, I would highly suggest either going for a Koni/JIC/Hotbits or just do the shocks with some nicer replacements than going for cheap coilovers.

But what your saying that they came with the car. Sounds to me like they might be blown or just plain worn out after long exstensive use. Surely your not going to count them out and say what they are based off of a old worn out pair.

But what your saying that they came with the car. Sounds to me like they might be blown or just plain worn out after long exstensive use. Surely your not going to count them out and say what they are based off of a old worn out pair.

I don't know how old they are, but I do know they're not blown. And if they're "worn out" (How do you wear out a coil-over exactly other than blowing the seals out/break a pillow mount, pray tell?), that even speaks worse for the quality of them.

No offense, but I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

Edit: K-Sports/D2/etc have long, long, LONG been discussed as anodized dumpy lowered show boy garbage by pretty much the entire automotive aftermarket community. Why people can't accept that and move on is mind boggling.

I don't know how old they are, but I do know they're not blown. And if they're "worn out" (How do you wear out a coil-over exactly other than blowing the seals out/break a pillow mount, pray tell?), that even speaks worse for the quality of them.

No offense, but I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

Edit: K-Sports/D2/etc have long, long, LONG been discussed as anodized dumpy lowered show boy garbage by pretty much the entire automotive aftermarket community. Why people can't accept that and move on is mind boggling.

You answered your own question. Worn seals, broken pillowmounts etc. Maybe you should post up pictures and even post a product review or an article, improve your driving habits and ask yourself That if the entire automotive aftermarket community jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?

Accept the fact that neither of us are experts.

OP, are you getting the megan ez's for your dd?

I've had Tein basics for about half a year now, now I know they are not Megan EZ's but the price is fairly equal.

I haven't tracked them since my car isn't tuned yet, but so far so good.
Roads aren't ugly, but some parts uglier than others...I guess it comes down to prefence.
I personally wouldn't pay over $1k for a set of coilovers that won't get used for what they are worth.

You answered your own question. Worn seals, broken pillowmounts etc. Maybe you should post up pictures and even post a product review or an article, improve your driving habits and ask yourself That if the entire automotive aftermarket community jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?

Accept the fact that neither of us are experts.

OP, are you getting the megan ez's for your dd?

Please don't give advice to people. Thanks.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123666252-Truth-about-K-Sports

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back